Old July 19th 03, 08:08 PM
Roy Lewallen

No need, I've done both transient and steady state sinusoidal solutions
for the general case many times. The source impedance dissipation and
power supplied by the source can be entirely determined simply by
replacing the transmission line and terminating impedance with an
impedance equal to that seen looking into the input end of the line. It
becomes a simple, three-component electrical circuit. You can replace
the transmission line and load with any combination of length, Z0, and
load impedance you'd like, as long as the input impedance is the same,
creating just about any amount of "reflected power" you want, without
changing the source dissipation.

The "reflected power" is not dissipated in the source, matched or not.
It's trivial to show that this is true. But people still want to believe.

Roy Lewallen, W7EL

Tarmo Tammaru wrote:
Roy,

I think I have the complete solution to your 70.7V generator and 1/2 wave
line, but with a finite load. Part of it implies that you are correct. Part
of it seem weird, even though the numbers add up. I analyzed it both as a
circuit element and as a transmission line problem. Kind of long, but I'll
post it if you want to see it.

Tam/WB2TT
"Roy Lewallen" wrote in message

There are lots of problems with analyzing waves of average power
bouncing around in a transmission line. I'm sure that every one of them
has been pointed out many, many times in postings directed at Cecil.