Old December 27th 06, 06:22 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.policy
Dave Heil Dave Heil is offline

Default So who won the "when does NoCode happen" pool?

John Smith I wrote:
Dave Heil wrote:
Unfortunately, none of those things will help in obtaining an amateur
radio license of any kind. I'm likewise busting a gut, "John".
There's always someone who is up for a challenge.

"Gettysburg" Address, "John".

Dave K8MN

And, FINALLY, neither will an autistic talent like "code tapping" assist
one in gaining an amateur ticket.

Neither learning or using the Morse Code has ever been an "autistic
talent" in any way, "John". It is a developed skill, like typing,
shooting, batting, throwing or a myriad of other talents.

Finally, CW is consigned to the trash
heap with sword swallowing--CW, a skill whose time has come, and gone ...

Sorry, "John", Morse Code is not being consigned to any trash heap. It
is used daily in making thousands of contacts by radio amateurs.

And, indeed, it could be stated that I am jealous of those who can tap
code at high speed.

It could be.

However, it felt as if I was just learning it to
get the ticket, would immediately attempt to forget it after, would
certainly NEVER use it, and was darn "pi$$ed off" at being forced to do
it just to get the dern ticket!!!

Perhaps you just needed an attitude adjustment, "John". I learned it in
its most fundamental form, by the sound of each letter, in Scouting. I
learned higher speeds just in order to get an amateur ticket. I wasn't
going to let anything stand in the way of my obtaining an amateur radio
license. Finally, I used it, became better at it and enjoyed it. I've
been enjoying its use for over 43 years now. I'll be enjoying it long
after code testing goes away.

Regards,
JS

Dave K8MN