Old January 2nd 07, 01:33 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.policy
[email protected] N2EY@AOL.COM is offline

Default Even a Caveman could do it

Cecil Moore wrote:

Perhaps you have forgotten that the general class exam
is an *entrance exam* into the general class.

That's a good point, Cecil! The exam is really meant to
determine that the licensee has the minimum basic
knowledge, not that the learning is all done.

Which reflects one of the Basis and Purposes of the
ARS: education, specifically technical education.

I memorized
the answers to the general class exam from the ARRL License
Manual in 1953 when I was only 14 years old.

FCC didn't care then *how* you passed the exam, as long as you didn't
cheat.
They simply cared that you answered enough of the questions correctly
get a passing score.

I got my Novice in 1967 at the age of 13, followed by Technician and
in 1968 at the age of 14. Hadn't even studied for the Advanced - I was
there for
the General code exam, passed it, and the FCC examiner suggested I try
the
Advanced while I was there. I tried it, passed, and went home a new
Advanced.
FCC didn't care how much I understood, just that I'd gotten enough
right answers
without cheating.

I didn't memorize the LM or any other book - I just learned some radio
basics.

73 de Jim, N2EY