Old January 1st 07, 06:29 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.policy

Default Even a Caveman could do it

Stefan Wolfe wrote:
Good one Dave. When you start "studying" for your general you will see how
dumbed down and simple it is and you might marvel at why the QPC would have
ever even bothered to commit such a "test" to publication. It may also occur
to you that, as the the Geico commercial says, it is so easy a caveman could
do it. Actually I would move back perhaps 25 million years earlier in the
evolutionary cycle and say it is so easy, even a monkey could do it.

Perhaps you have forgotten that the general class exam
is an *entrance exam* into the general class. It is not
supposed to be a GRE (Graduate Record Exam). I memorized
the answers to the general class exam from the ARRL License
Manual in 1953 when I was only 14 years old.

Q: What is the unit of resistance?

A: The unit of resistance is the ohm.

At the time, I had no clue what resistance was. But I
was really good at Morse Code so my technical ignorance
didn't matter.
--
73, Cecil http://www.w5dxp.com
Old January 1st 07, 06:48 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.policy

Cecil Moore wrote:
Manual in 1953 when I was only 14 years old.

Damn Cecil!

You are 13 years older than me!

I can only wish I have your mental, physical and social capabilities
when I am your age. And, just when a guy has come to believe there are
no mentors left in the world worth a hoot ...

You NEVER cease to amaze me--look damn good standing by that hog too!
Frankly, given your age, I have a new appreciation of it!

Warmest regards,
JS
Old January 1st 07, 07:07 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.policy

John Smith I wrote:
Cecil Moore wrote:
Manual in 1953 when I was only 14 years old.

Damn Cecil!
You are 13 years older than me!

Actually, I may be 13+ years older than you. I was born
Feb. 3, 1938, a died-in-the-wool Aquarian, seeker of
wisdom and truth. I was 14 years old for only one month
in 1953 when I got my conditional license. :-)

I can only wish I have your mental, physical and social capabilities
when I am your age.

Am I supposed to be senile by now or what? :-) Walter
Maxwell is still going strong at 88. Once, on the Jack
Parr show back in the 60's, I heard of a guy who died
in a knife fight over a woman when he was 102 years old.
That certainly beats dying in a nursing home at 90. My
Dad's oldest brother was still roofing houses at 80. My
Mom's brother was still breaking horses at 80.

You NEVER cease to amaze me--look damn good standing by that hog too!
Frankly, given your age, I have a new appreciation of it!

You are only as old as you feel. I am psychologically
about ten years old, clearly a case of arrested
development. :-)
--
73, Cecil http://www.w5dxp.com
Old January 1st 07, 09:09 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.policy

Cecil Moore wrote:
John Smith I wrote:
Cecil Moore wrote:
Manual in 1953 when I was only 14 years old.

Damn Cecil!
You are 13 years older than me!

Actually, I may be 13+ years older than you. I was born
Feb. 3, 1938, a died-in-the-wool Aquarian, seeker of
wisdom and truth. I was 14 years old for only one month
in 1953 when I got my conditional license. :-)

Tsk...you kids! :-)

I can only wish I have your mental, physical and social capabilities
when I am your age.

Am I supposed to be senile by now or what? :-) Walter
Maxwell is still going strong at 88. Once, on the Jack
Parr show back in the 60's, I heard of a guy who died
in a knife fight over a woman when he was 102 years old.
That certainly beats dying in a nursing home at 90. My
Dad's oldest brother was still roofing houses at 80. My
Mom's brother was still breaking horses at 80.

You NEVER cease to amaze me--look damn good standing by that hog too!
Frankly, given your age, I have a new appreciation of it!

You are only as old as you feel. I am psychologically
about ten years old, clearly a case of arrested
development. :-)

All you have to do is select your parents properly... :-)

LA

Old January 1st 07, 10:11 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.policy

All you have to do is select your parents properly... :-)

LA

I looked for that option, don't think I didn't, but they grew on me--I
ended up loving them ...

JS

Old January 2nd 07, 01:05 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.policy

" wrote in
oups.com:

Cecil Moore wrote:
John Smith I wrote:
Cecil Moore wrote:
[...]

But be careful when you do that, cuz if you're parents don't have
any offspring, the odds are that you won't either...

- 73 de Mike KB3EIA -

Old January 2nd 07, 01:33 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.policy

Cecil Moore wrote:

Perhaps you have forgotten that the general class exam
is an *entrance exam* into the general class.

That's a good point, Cecil! The exam is really meant to
determine that the licensee has the minimum basic
knowledge, not that the learning is all done.

Which reflects one of the Basis and Purposes of the
ARS: education, specifically technical education.

I memorized
the answers to the general class exam from the ARRL License
Manual in 1953 when I was only 14 years old.

FCC didn't care then *how* you passed the exam, as long as you didn't
cheat.
They simply cared that you answered enough of the questions correctly
get a passing score.

I got my Novice in 1967 at the age of 13, followed by Technician and
in 1968 at the age of 14. Hadn't even studied for the Advanced - I was
there for
the General code exam, passed it, and the FCC examiner suggested I try
the
Advanced while I was there. I tried it, passed, and went home a new
Advanced.
FCC didn't care how much I understood, just that I'd gotten enough
right answers
without cheating.

I didn't memorize the LM or any other book - I just learned some radio
basics.

73 de Jim, N2EY