Old January 19th 07, 03:42 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.policy
Dee Flint Dee Flint is offline

Default Appropriate number of license classes

wrote in message
oups.com...

Dee Flint wrote:
wrote in message
oups.com...

[snip]

Welp, I think I'm going to try to get into the new group and beat the
drum of "One Amateur Radio, One Amateur Radio License." Jim had his
heart set on "more license classes" when we had five of them. I'm
going to see what I can do about making it one license class, or at
worst, one full class, and one learners class.

I think it would be an excellent subject for debate.

Yup. It's on-topic and it's something everyone can argue over.

To me, it seems that two classes would be appropriate: General and
Extra.
I think this will actually become the de facto structure as we move
forward
anyway and have mentioned this before.

Now, see, you got it wrong already. ;^)

It should be Technician and Extra, but renamed Amateur Limited and
Amateur, respectively.

It is not unreasonable for the prospective ham to study both the
Technician
and General material and take both writtens at the same time. This is
actually what I will be suggesting to those that I help prepare for the
licensing tests. While there is some material that is unique to each
specific test, there is enough overlap

There is gross overlap, as the General is the parent of the Tech. Tech
used to be the consolation prize for people failing the 13WPM morse
code exam. And the General is not an introductory license - it once
conveyed 100% of all amateur privileges.

that it would be reasonable for a
candidate to prepare for going straight to General. In time, I think it
would be reasonable to make the Technician a closed license class and
merge
the question pools just as they did when they closed the Advanced class
and
merged the question pools for Advanced and Extra back in 2000.

Dee, N8UZE

Hopefully, we'll be able to convince each other as we did the morse
exam debate.

I'm sure it will be just as effective. I still believe that the basic morse
test should have been kept but it's water under the bridge.

Dee, N8UZE