Old January 18th 07, 11:34 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.policy

Default Appropriate number of license classes

wrote in message
oups.com...

[snip]

Welp, I think I'm going to try to get into the new group and beat the
drum of "One Amateur Radio, One Amateur Radio License." Jim had his
heart set on "more license classes" when we had five of them. I'm
going to see what I can do about making it one license class, or at
worst, one full class, and one learners class.

I think it would be an excellent subject for debate.

To me, it seems that two classes would be appropriate: General and Extra.
I think this will actually become the de facto structure as we move forward
anyway and have mentioned this before.

It is not unreasonable for the prospective ham to study both the Technician
and General material and take both writtens at the same time. This is
actually what I will be suggesting to those that I help prepare for the
licensing tests. While there is some material that is unique to each
specific test, there is enough overlap that it would be reasonable for a
candidate to prepare for going straight to General. In time, I think it
would be reasonable to make the Technician a closed license class and merge
the question pools just as they did when they closed the Advanced class and
merged the question pools for Advanced and Extra back in 2000.

Dee, N8UZE

Old January 19th 07, 01:53 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.policy

Dee Flint wrote:
wrote in message
oups.com...

[snip]

Welp, I think I'm going to try to get into the new group and beat the
drum of "One Amateur Radio, One Amateur Radio License." Jim had his
heart set on "more license classes" when we had five of them. I'm
going to see what I can do about making it one license class, or at
worst, one full class, and one learners class.

I think it would be an excellent subject for debate.

Yup. It's on-topic and it's something everyone can argue over.

To me, it seems that two classes would be appropriate: General and Extra.
I think this will actually become the de facto structure as we move forward
anyway and have mentioned this before.

Now, see, you got it wrong already. ;^)

It should be Technician and Extra, but renamed Amateur Limited and
Amateur, respectively.

It is not unreasonable for the prospective ham to study both the Technician
and General material and take both writtens at the same time. This is
actually what I will be suggesting to those that I help prepare for the
licensing tests. While there is some material that is unique to each
specific test, there is enough overlap

There is gross overlap, as the General is the parent of the Tech. Tech
used to be the consolation prize for people failing the 13WPM morse
code exam. And the General is not an introductory license - it once
conveyed 100% of all amateur privileges.

that it would be reasonable for a
candidate to prepare for going straight to General. In time, I think it
would be reasonable to make the Technician a closed license class and merge
the question pools just as they did when they closed the Advanced class and
merged the question pools for Advanced and Extra back in 2000.

Dee, N8UZE

Hopefully, we'll be able to convince each other as we did the morse
exam debate.

Old January 19th 07, 03:42 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.policy

wrote in message
oups.com...

Dee Flint wrote:
wrote in message
[...]

I'm sure it will be just as effective. I still believe that the basic morse
test should have been kept but it's water under the bridge.

Dee, N8UZE

Old January 20th 07, 09:38 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.policy

wrote in message

except it seem like some the old timers you are goingto keep bringit
up

Please repeat this statement (?). I honestly cannot comprehend it. Perhaps
your problem was never CW, just your English composition.

Old January 21st 07, 12:28 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.policy

"an old friend" wrote in message
ups.com...

close it is my real time ability to proces letter dyslexia I have
treated the NG to a dmetaration just by posting I prove that those that
claim anyone can use Morse Code are incorrrect

The victim argument!

Let me acquaint you with the pseudo-science that seems to be disabling you:

From the web site
"Adequacy - News for Grown Ups";

"The economic miracle that was started off by Ronald Reagan in the 80s, and
continued through the George Bush Sr and Clinton administrations is one the
wonders of the modern world. The solid economic base of Amreica, coupled
with the explosion of the American designed world-wide-web and Internet have
created opportunities for all regardless of education, race, sex or class.
Anyone in America who wants a job will be able to take their pick from a
selection of attractive and highly paid positions due to the strength of the
American economy.
So why is it then that the middle classes have taken to faking diseases and
why are otherwise respectable physicians joining in this collective fraud ?

Dyslexia, M.E., Attention Deficit Disorder, Repetitive Strain Injury,
Anorexia. You have probably heard of these diseases before. At least one of
your co-workers has probably taken time off work for one of these
'illnesses' in the last month. And yet, up until now no evidence has been
produced to support the existence of any these afflictions as actual medical
conditions. Let's analyse these 'sicknesses' one by one.

a.. Dyslexia. This is the 'diagnosis' given to a middle class child who
cannot read owing to low intelligence. It is an attempt to medicalize a
problem which in reality is a social one: All men are not created equal.
When God gave out the brains, some of us were fortunate enough to be given a
shiny new BMW 7-Series sedan, some of us got '97 5.0 Mustang, and some of us
(the unfortunate few) got nothing more than an old skateboard.

Dyslexia does not exist. Stupid children who cannot read do exist.

b.. M.E. (also known as the 'yuppie flu'). Again the middle classes cannot
stomach the fact that they are not superhuman beings. Consequently when one
of them needs to take a day off work, due to being what normal people would
call "tired" they medicalize the problem (by giving it a long
medical-sounding name) and hey-presto you can get all the time off work you
want. Not bad for simply being tired. I wonder what our forefathers who
built America by the sweat of their brows would say to a modern yuppie
suffering from M.E. ?

M.E. does not exist. People who need to go to bed a bit earlier do exist.

c.. Attention Deficit Disorder (ADD). This one is quite sinister. For
thousands of years, children were allowed to be carefree spirits, wandering
wherever the mood took them. Investigating a world which is new and fresh to
them, getting distracted when something more interesting came along. This
was called 'a childhood'. In the modern hell that is middle-class America, a
child is not allowed to have a healthy curiosity. No. The moment a child
behaves like children have done for thousands of years, the middle class
parent reaches for the Ritalin, to dope the poor kid up to better fit with
his middle-class golf-playing lifestyle.

ADD does not exist. Healthy childhood curiosity does exist.

d.. RSI. (repetitive strain injury). Another medicalization of a
non-medical problem. For centuries it was well known that if you did
something repetative for a long time, it could have consequences. Cowboys
doing their bit to tame the wild frontier often became 'saddle sore'.
Railwaymen laying the tracks across our great continent suffered 'sleeper
driver's ear' where the noise from banging in the sleepers to the ground
would become too much. In both these cases the 'cure' was simple. Stop what
you are doing for a while. The pain would then go away. RSI is supposedly
caused by typing. The message to these middle-class whiners who suffer from
this pseudo-disease is simple: Take a 5 minute break.

RSI does not exist. People who need a five minute break but are too stupid
to take it do exist.

e.. Anorexia (Anorexia Nervosa, also Bulimia). Another disease created as
a cover for general stupidity. In the bountiful society of modern America,
everyone has as much food as they can consume, there is no need for anyone
to go hungry. It is almost like 'Star Trek' where technology has progressed
to the point where there is a surplus of all material goods. So why then do
teenage girls feel the need to starve themselves ?

Anorexia does not exist. Stupid people who need to get some lunch do
exist.

All these "diseases" or "illnesses" have been conjured up from thin-air by
the middle class (in collusion with the big pharmaceutical corporations), in
order that they can have an excuse to skive off work, or to make them seem
more exciting and interesting than their lower-class peers..."

that the claim it is just laziness is incorrect

Probably true. More likely, your IQ is somewhat to the left of the peak on
the bell curve, that's all. See "dyslexia" above.

most folks don't need this spelled out for them

Agreed. Many folks do buy into these "afflictions" due to propaganda from
the medical and pharmaceutical industries.

I read english prefectly I speak it quite well text is problem as you
surely note

Well, then you are true to form pseudo-dyslexic; an audio learner, not a
visual one. You would not have a problem with Morse code if your IQ were
shifted to the right of the curve just a little. Don't worry, it is quite
normal to be below average. It is just as normal to not be able to learn the
code (a slight left shift from peak) as it is to have the ability (a slight
right shift).

not editing makes the point and is easier a twofer

Sorry, I did not copy. What is a "twofer"?

Old January 21st 07, 07:00 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.policy

wrote in message
On Sat, 20 Jan 2007 19:28:45 -0500, "Stefan Wolfe"
wrote:

"an old friend" wrote in message
roups.com...

close it is my real time ability to proces letter dyslexia I have
treated the NG to a dmetaration just by posting I prove that those that
claim anyone can use Morse Code are incorrrect

The victim argument!

Let me acquaint you with the pseudo-science that seems to be disabling
you:

From the web site
"Adequacy - News for Grown Ups";

you mean you decided to flame with more off topic materail

You were the one who played the dyslexic card to prove the point that not
everyone can learn morse code.

Morse code is a policy issue.

This news group is about policy, thus my post was on topic.

However, I do understand that those whose IQ's are shifted a little to the
left of the bell curve need a little assistance when it comes to
conceptualizing the larger picture.

Here is an example of off-topic:

When researching the pseuo-sciences about dyslexia, you will find that
alleged "dyslectics" often have a bed wetting problem, thus capturing a
significant number of inherently lazy middle class people and boosting the
number of potential insured pharmaceutical consumers;

Do you wet the bed?

Old January 21st 07, 07:08 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.policy

Stefan Wolfe wrote:
wrote in message
On Sat, 20 Jan 2007 19:28:45 -0500, "Stefan Wolfe"
wrote:

Do you wet the bed?

if you by some chance want to discuss something
first give a call
and
tseconbd stop with this sort of crap

Rare Books on Radio and Electronics Hania Lux Shortwave 0 October 18th 03 12:13 AM
Low reenlistment rate charlesb Policy 54 September 18th 03 01:57 PM
There is no International Code Requirement and techs can operate HF according to FCC Rules JJ General 159 August 12th 03 12:25 AM
Hey CBers Help Get rid of Morse Code Test and Requirement Scott Unit 69 Policy 9 August 1st 03 02:08 AM
Hey CBers Help Get rid of Morse Code Test and Requirement ROLDAIGNAULT CB 22 July 31st 03 12:54 AM