Old January 22nd 07, 02:32 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.policy
Mike Coslo Mike Coslo is offline

Default Feb 23 is the No-code date

"KH6HZ" wrote in
:

"Mike Coslo" wrote:

Up for a challenge? Memorize the Extra test, all 800 some
questions
in the pool. Then let's take a test. I'll give you the test question
number, and you give me the letter answer. Since memorization
presumably has nothing to do with the knowledge, this should be easy
as the new applicants have in taking the so called dumbed down tests

That isn't how memorization works.

I was waiting for someone to fall into that one.

Of course it isn't how it works.

While there may be some people who "memorize" the question and answer,
in reality what most people are referring to when they talk about
"memorization" is in fact something more akin to "word association" or
"familiarity".

Here is a intereting note.

I have an almost photographic memory. When I studied fot the tests,
I would take an on-line test. Any and all questions that I got wron, I
hit a book and figured out the correct answer. I read it - usually once,
and then I knew the answer. Was I memorizing?

All one has to do is read the question pool enough, or drill long
enough using a computer program, that they will "recognize" the
correct answer when they see it. They don't actually "memorize" the
question pool per se, such that they know the answer to question ###
is AAA. No, instead, they simply become familiar enough with it that
they can recognize the correct answer to the question, much the same
way you become familiar with many things in life without actually
"memorizing" them.

Yeah, Sounds like how mwmory works.

I offered that challenge because I hear so much about rote memory. Some
of the curmudgeons are correct in that a person who memorizes the pool
is a lot dumber than a person who learns it.

A lot of Technicians I know used the "Now You're Talking" books.
Lots of stuff in there that prepares you for radio operations.

When I got my tech license, I used the Gorden West book. That's not
how I passed the exams though.

Do you think that most new hams get their license, then hire
people
to put their stations together after they buy their "Yaecomwood"
boxes?

"putting a station" together these days involves little more than
calling HRO, unpacking the boxes UPS delivers, and plugging everything
in. Not much theory required there.

But it doesn't have to. We have the options of putting out a fair
amoount of power, and to experiment, and work with equipment of our oown
design and manufacture, and to modify that equipment as long as it stays
within whatever legal performance limits as apply.

That's what the testing is about. No one is required to make use of
all the priveliges.

- 73 de Mike KB3EIA -