Old January 25th 07, 12:44 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.policy
Mike Coslo Mike Coslo is offline

Default Feb 23 is the No-code date

"KH6HZ" wrote in
:

"Mike Coslo" wrote:

Some people can't help that though. In the end, the difference is
not all that much. Memorizing a formula and knowing where to look
it up and use it is a functional equivalent. I wouldn't be caught
dead without my ARRL handbook.

Yes, but what about those who simply word associate the answers and
never bother to learn the underlying theory at all? Are they really a
benefit to the ARS, other than upping the "body count".

Well, there are plenty of people who get through life kinda like
that.

I don't disagree with you there. I'm all about technical acumen. I
just don't think all hams need to be as technically clever as I am,
as some hams do.

I believe the theory examinations should be structured to test people
on basic knowledge and skills -- the building blocks they use to
further their journey in ham radio. I do not feel it is unreasonable
to expect folks who get licensed to actually 'know' these things.

It couldn't, for the many things that we can engage in with this
hobby. I doubt we would get many people into the hobby if we had to
test to proficiency in all the aspects of it.

70% isn't necessarily "proficient". I would say 70% is adequate for
passing the test. I would be hard pressed, for instance, to say an
employee who gets 70% of their work correct is proficient at their
job.

Definitely. But the idea to me is that a Ham who scored 70 percent on
the test can still put up an antenna - maybe even correctly, operate a
radio, help out in an emergency, and certainly in some cases do some
fine CW work.

I just think that trying to decide on what exactly makes a "good
test" is so subjective. I wouldn't want to base it on what I know. I
definitely wouldn't want to base it on "genius Hams" level of
knowledge. Others will differ.

I would offer this though. From what I know of EE students, at
least in my environment, is that they are loaded up with classes. They
can't take any of the gut courses. Getting through their courses is a
challenge that a fair number take an extra year to do it.

Most of them who are not Hams already, graduate with just about the
same ability to put a station together as a newly minted General. Who
had a test from a public question pool.

- 73 de Mike KB3EIA -