Old January 25th 07, 03:17 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Michael Black Michael Black is offline

Default Local station bad harmonics on 80 meters

"RST Engineering" ) writes:
Because he's got a SINGLE frequency interfering with his station. To hell
with covering the entire band. A single parallel resonant network will do
something in the order of 80 dB of rejection if the L and C are at LEAST
something reasonable for Q.

Care to calculate the order of filter that will do 80 dB as a low pass
filter? And the Q of the components necessary to make the insertion loss
negligible at 160 meters?

At the very least, it's far easier to put in a single LC notch filter to
see what it does to the offending signal.

I was trying to think of things that could be done easily to determine
whether the problem is actually the transmitter or simply receiver overload.
One can easily assemble an LC circuit in the broadcast band with available
parts to try this out, while a high pass filter requires paying good
money for it and likely mail-ordering, or at the very least ordering
multiple coils to build up such a thing.

My first receiver was a cheap low end solid-state Hallicrafters in 1971,
and it overloaded terribly. I don't think anything could have been
done to fix it, but I know one time I took the parts list from the Handbook
for the high pass filter that was in there to solve the problem of AM
broadcast stations, and the parts store said they didn't have the
coils in stock, and they'd cost a pretty penny (certainly a pretty
penny for a 12 year old).

Michael VE2BVW