Old February 6th 07, 09:21 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
Joe Analssandrini Joe Analssandrini is offline

Default Icom r71a won't power on

On Feb 4, 9:04 am, sam sam wrote:
My Icom R71a takes longer and longer to come on when the power switch
is pressed. The memory battery has never been replaced as far as I
know. Could a dead battery be causing this problem or do I have a
more serious problem?

Dear Sir,

I replied to your post yesterday, I got a message stating that my post
was successful, but it has not shown up here. So I'll repeat what I
wrote.

The ICOM R-71A has an operating system (firmware) that is volatile -
that is, totally dependent on the lithium memory battery which has a
finite life. Once the battery goes "flat," the entire operating system
is lost. I believe your battery is reaching the end of its useful life
and, in its weakened state, is causing your problem.

Merely replacing the battery won't help you. The battery must be
replaced and THEN the radio must have its operating system
reprogrammed. Unfortunately, as far as I am aware, only ICOM service
stations can do this. I recommend that you telephone ICOM, explain
your problem, and see if they agree with my diagnosis.

If it is necessary to have the radio refurbished, you will need to
ship the radio to ICOM. (I recommend asking them if they will sell you
the program by which you could reprogram the receiver yourself. As
this is now an older, long-since discontinued model, they might agree
to do so. In any event, it doesn't hurt to ask. You would also need to
know the model of the battery you would need.)

I do not know of any other shortwave radio that has this design. This
is a major problem with this otherwise excellent receiver and is the
reason I personally did not buy one.

I wish you the very best of luck. Keep us informed of any
developments. I hope this message goes through.

Best,

Joe