Old February 4th 07, 02:04 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Default Icom r71a won't power on

My Icom R71a takes longer and longer to come on when the power switch
is pressed. The memory battery has never been replaced as far as I
know. Could a dead battery be causing this problem or do I have a
more serious problem?

Old February 4th 07, 10:28 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

sam sam wrote:
My Icom R71a takes longer and longer to come on when the power switch
is pressed. The memory battery has never been replaced as far as I
know. Could a dead battery be causing this problem or do I have a
more serious problem?

Yes, a weak/dead battery could cause the problem.......
Old February 5th 07, 09:00 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On Sun, 04 Feb 2007 14:04:01 GMT, sam sam
wrote:

My Icom R71a takes longer and longer to come on when the power switch
is pressed. The memory battery has never been replaced as far as I
know. Could a dead battery be causing this problem or do I have a
more serious problem?

Check the ground wire and also check the bridge rectifier solder
connections.

Jim
Old February 6th 07, 09:21 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On Feb 4, 9:04 am, sam sam wrote:
My Icom R71a takes longer and longer to come on when the power switch
is pressed. The memory battery has never been replaced as far as I
know. Could a dead battery be causing this problem or do I have a
more serious problem?

Dear Sir,

I replied to your post yesterday, I got a message stating that my post
was successful, but it has not shown up here. So I'll repeat what I
wrote.

The ICOM R-71A has an operating system (firmware) that is volatile -
that is, totally dependent on the lithium memory battery which has a
finite life. Once the battery goes "flat," the entire operating system
is lost. I believe your battery is reaching the end of its useful life
and, in its weakened state, is causing your problem.

Merely replacing the battery won't help you. The battery must be
replaced and THEN the radio must have its operating system
reprogrammed. Unfortunately, as far as I am aware, only ICOM service
stations can do this. I recommend that you telephone ICOM, explain
your problem, and see if they agree with my diagnosis.

If it is necessary to have the radio refurbished, you will need to
ship the radio to ICOM. (I recommend asking them if they will sell you
the program by which you could reprogram the receiver yourself. As
this is now an older, long-since discontinued model, they might agree
to do so. In any event, it doesn't hurt to ask. You would also need to
know the model of the battery you would need.)

I do not know of any other shortwave radio that has this design. This
is a major problem with this otherwise excellent receiver and is the
reason I personally did not buy one.

I wish you the very best of luck. Keep us informed of any
developments. I hope this message goes through.

Best,

Joe

Old February 7th 07, 03:30 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

In article .com,
"Joe Analssandrini" wrote:

Dear Sir,

I replied to your post yesterday, I got a message stating that my post
was successful, but it has not shown up here. So I'll repeat what I
wrote.

Snip

You might want to reset the news group in your news reader. Your news
reader may be out of sync with your news server.

--
Telamon
Ventura, California
Old February 7th 07, 03:44 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On Feb 6, 10:30 pm, Telamon
wrote:
In article .com,
"Joe Analssandrini" wrote:

Dear Sir,

I replied to your post yesterday, I got a message stating that my post
was successful, but it has not shown up here. So I'll repeat what I
wrote.

Snip

You might want to reset the news group in your news reader. Your news
reader may be out of sync with your news server.

--
Telamon
Ventura, California

Dear "Telamon,"

This phenomenon (message not "taking") has happened to me previously
but only two or three times in the last several years. I have seen
some others complain of the same thing from time to time. I do not use
a news reader program; I just go to http://groups.google.com/groups?
hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&group=rec.radio.shortwave and generally
have no problem.

Do you think it has anything to do with sunspots? ;-)

Best,

Joe

P.S. Thanks for trying to help me. Your posts are always of interest.
What radio would you recommend as a first receiver for this person?

Old February 7th 07, 03:52 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On Feb 6, 10:44 pm, "Joe Analssandrini"
wrote:
On Feb 6, 10:30 pm, Telamon

wrote:
In article .com,
"Joe Analssandrini" wrote:

[...]

Please ignore the last sentence - the question to you about a first
receiver - in my previous reply to you - I got my messages mixed up.
Senility ... ?

Old February 8th 07, 02:32 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

In article . com,
"Joe Analssandrini" wrote:

On Feb 6, 10:30 pm, Telamon
wrote:
In article .com,
"Joe Analssandrini" wrote:

[...]

No problem. I think your problem has to do with article numbers. Your
news reader determines what articles to display based on what you have
already read, which is marked as such. When the news server gets reset
the numbering can change and some new articles from you and other people
may not be displayed. You can reset the news group or un-suscribe and
then re-subscribe to reset the news group in your news reader. You will
have to re-mark all old articles read again that are still on your news
server.

I think a good first new receiver would be an Eton E1.

--
Telamon
Ventura, California