Old February 9th 07, 10:36 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
Charly Charly is offline

Default How can I receive LM? (i. e. improve LW reception)

Karl Self a écrit :
On 6 Feb., 23:56, Charly wrote:
You can try to plug a reel antenna with a STEREO jack, connecting the
antenna to the ring and tip. Then it will activate the reel antenna for
MW and LW.

Do you mean using a mono to stereo adaptor between antenna and radio,
or an entirely different antenna altogether?

You can build one. A commercial one might only connect one side (I don't
know which one).

I personnaly use a home made long wire linked to radio via a home-made
balun. The balun is connected to the radio with a stereo jack, with tip
and ring connected together, so it activates the external antenna for SW
(works well, better than Sony AN-LP1 active antenna sometime), MW
(competes with internal ferrite bar, which is directionnal), and LW (but
for that range of frequencies, the results are poor and the ferrite much
better).

I found that this jack settings works better than the Dave Moisan's
advice (connecting together sleeve and ring did not improve reception).

Hope this helps,

Charly