Old February 17th 07, 03:47 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
David Eduardo David Eduardo is offline

Default HD AM in NJ/NY ?

wrote in message
ps.com...
On Feb 17, 12:03?am, "David Eduardo" wrote:
wrote in message

ups.com...
On Feb 16, 5:39?am, "David Eduardo" wrote:

wrote in message

oups.com...

Have you ever listened to AM (MW) HD? The voices sound MUCH better
than analog!
It's actually pleasant to listen to. But, they are only HD during the
day, so they're almost useless, except on weekends! That's why WINS
AM is on FM-HD2, so that it can be on all day and night.

But there is so little AM listening at night that it really does not
matter,
business wise.
If that is true, then why is news/talk/.sport so popular at night.

It isn't.

Another IBOC shill, full-of-**** !

OK, potty mouth: show me how there is so much listening to AM news talk at
night that we could apply the term "popular" to it.

Remember, we need numbers of persons, not share. A 10 share in 7PM-Midnight
is less than a 2 share at 7AM in terms of people. A 20 share at 11 PM is
less people than a 1 share at 7 AM.

Example: At 7 AM, 2.6 million people are listening to radio in Los Angeles,
19.5% of whom are listening to AM
At 11 PM, of the 500,000 listening to radio, only 2.3% were listening to AM.
So not only does AM command a very small percentage of peak hour listening,
it even underperforms its own weak overall showing in evening hours.

Then, looking at younger demos, in 12 to 34, 7 AM, AM has only a 5.9 share
of radio listening, and at 11 PM it is down to a 2.3% share.

So, AM night listening is dismal 12+, and nearly non-existent at night!