Old March 1st 07, 09:05 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Jeff Jeff is offline

Default tuner - feedline - antenna question ?

"
The solution is 4.9 dB.
snip
If anyone wants to challenge the 4.9 dB solution, they can impeach my

reference "Reference Data for Radio Engineers," (various editions). I
can supply other references that have been named in this group too,
but I would suggest with tackling one authority at a time.

73's
Richard Clark, KB7QHC

I have to admit to an error in my analysis of the problem, I made a mistake
with the attenuation of the line.

Re analysing with the correct values gives me the following:

Loss 4.78dB
S11 -5.25dB
Vswr as seen by the source 3.41:1

I think these values are close enough to Richard's answers to make little
difference. I have not got Reference Data for Radio Engineers to hand, but
it may be a graphical solution that could account for the slight
discrepancy. My figures were obtained using Ansoft Designer RF Cad package.

The error crept in because I did the analysis by using 5.35m of coax at 300m
to get the 5.35 wavelengths, and forgot to scale the attenuation value for
the coax.

73
Jeff