Old March 6th 07, 04:58 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Sal M. Onella Sal M. Onella is offline

Default J-pole 144/432

"Scott" wrote in message
Search on the term COPPER CACTUS and you will find several sites with
J-Pole antennas made of copper water pipe that will work on both bands.
I have one and used it quite successfully just sticking its extended
lower end into the front yard...

Scott

Yes. The copper cactus cleverly combines separate antennas for each band on
the same structure. However, if your needs for 440 are modest -- local
repeaters, mostly -- then just make a 2m version and you will find it is
also a good match on 440.

The limitation is that that a 2m J-pole on 440 has an elevated main lobe.
It works well for me, but probably not as well as elements specifically cut
for 440 would work.