Old March 16th 07, 05:19 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors
Smokey Smokey is offline

Default Stuck Slug in HQ-145

Yechhh! I hate it when this happens!

I have experienced this several times in the last few years, the most recent
being this past week while aligning a 60s vintage transmitter. My personal
experience is that glueing the broken slug back together has never worked
for me. Apparently the breach throws off the properties of ferrite slug.
What always has worked best for me is to swallow hard, utter the words "damn
it" and then proceed to repair the problem. My repair is to VERY CAREFULLY
pick out the broken pieces with a needle nose pliers. Nibble away at the old
slug with the pliers if necessary until you've removed the old slug like a
decayed tooth. . Drilling it out does nothing except twist the plastic core
around the bit and ruin it. I then replace the slug with a comparable one
found in the transformer can of a 60s vintage stereo receiver I keep on hand
for just such parts.
By the way, I have performed "autopsies" on defective slug coils by razor
cutting them down their sides and each time has revealed the slug was lodged
in a cross-threaded configuration. I have never been able to free a cross
thread inside a coil.

W9STB

"Dave" wrote in message
I have just about finished restoring and re-calibrating a 47 year old

HQ-145. I
have only one issue left.

The input stage for the first rf amplifier uses slug tuned inductances.

The slug
adjustments proceeded normally for the BC, 160-80, and 40 meter bands. The

slug
for the 20 through 10 meter band is "STUCK".

The inductance is packaged in a typical i.f. can with top and bottom

openings.
Does anyone have any 'hints and kinks' for unsticking the slug? BTW, the

radio
is operating on 20 meters and responds moderately well to a signal

generator on
10 meters. I would just like to peak the response.

Ideas??

/s/ DD, W1MCE