Old March 22nd 07, 10:02 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
garlicman garlicman is offline

Default New General with dipole questions

I just passed my General exam a week ago. I've got a Yaesu FT-990 and made a
40m dipole with some 12g wire (each side about 33 feet long). I got it
outside along the roof with part drooping off the roof. I intend to suspend
it between the chimney and a tree when the universe comes together so that I
am off work, it stops raining, and I get over this cold.

I haven't transmitted yet, but I noticed a couple of things listening to the
bands:

1. Lots and lots of noise.
2. 80m comes in quite well.

Will getting the antenna higher reduce the noise? How do you account for the
good 80m reception?