Old March 22nd 07, 10:02 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Default New General with dipole questions

I just passed my General exam a week ago. I've got a Yaesu FT-990 and made a
40m dipole with some 12g wire (each side about 33 feet long). I got it
outside along the roof with part drooping off the roof. I intend to suspend
it between the chimney and a tree when the universe comes together so that I
am off work, it stops raining, and I get over this cold.

I haven't transmitted yet, but I noticed a couple of things listening to the
bands:

1. Lots and lots of noise.
2. 80m comes in quite well.

Will getting the antenna higher reduce the noise? How do you account for the
good 80m reception?

Old March 23rd 07, 12:54 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

garlicman wrote:
How do you account for the good 80m reception?

Dynamic range of 100+ db?
--
73, Cecil http://www.w5dxp.com
Old March 23rd 07, 12:59 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

On Thu, 22 Mar 2007 15:02:51 -0700, "garlicman" None wrote:

Will getting the antenna higher reduce the noise? How do you account for the
good 80m reception?

Hi OM,

Research the topic of choking the feedpoint to reduce noise. This may
help that (and it will certainly help with other issues), but noise
comes in many flavors. Listen at different times of day/night over
the next week. I bet you will hear a world of difference without
doing anything else.

73's
Richard Clark, KB7QHC
Old March 23rd 07, 12:08 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

On Thu, 22 Mar 2007 15:02:51 -0700, "garlicman" None wrote:

I just passed my General exam a week ago. I've got a Yaesu FT-990 and made a
40m dipole with some 12g wire (each side about 33 feet long). I got it
outside along the roof with part drooping off the roof. I intend to suspend
it between the chimney and a tree when the universe comes together so that I
am off work, it stops raining, and I get over this cold.

I haven't transmitted yet, but I noticed a couple of things listening to the
bands:

1. Lots and lots of noise.
2. 80m comes in quite well.

Will getting the antenna higher reduce the noise? How do you account for the
good 80m reception?

The higher antenna will increase reception. You may have it near
wires or something in the house that is making noise. If you don't
have a balun, you may wish to make or use one on your line. Make sure
your rig is well grounded.

As stated above, there are lots of things that can cause the noise.
When you get the antenna raised, keep us posted and be more specific
of what the noise sounds like and maybe we can help find the source.

Welcome aboard and good luck.

--
73 for now
Buck, N4PGW