Old March 30th 07, 03:24 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.policy
Dave Heil Dave Heil is offline

Default The First Month of the Revolution in USA Amateur Radio

KH6HZ wrote:
"Dave Heil" wrote:

You're being disingenuous again, Leonard. I've stated that you are a
newcomer to *amateur* radio. Each time I've done so, you've tried to make
it appear that I've used the generic term "radio".

I think Grandpa Lennie is simply jealous of the fact that due to his waiting
54 years to get an amateur radio license...

It doesn't matter whether he's jealous or not, Mike. He can fill up his
years with getting on 75m and telling hams who have been in the game for
decades about his experiences at ADA in the 1950's.

-- and the fact that the actuarial
tables state he probably doesn't have 15 years left...

I don't intend to keep reminding him of his remaining time on the
planet. Any of us could easily go before Len does. All it takes is a
traffic accident (Roger Wiseman's death wish for me: failing brakes,
sharp curves, twisting road) or a sudden illness. The fact is that I've
already enjoyed 43 years in amateur radio.

-- he will be unable to
accumulate 230k+ QSOs that others accumulated here have.

If he gets busy and hones his skills, he could get it done. I made over
that number in my nearly sixteen years overseas though it wasn't really
that long since I was typically in the U.S. for two to three months
between assignments and usually burned a month or so of leave in the
U.S. or elsewhere each year. I've submitted nearly 30,000 QSOs to LOTW
but I still have years of contest logs from the paper logging days which
have yet to be entered into the computer logging database. It'd be nice
to have a half million or so QSOs logged before departure time.

If Len Anderson wants to pretend that he is part of some revolution, let
him play. He'll unbox his JA transceiver, hook it to a vertical antenna
and have all the fun he is capable of having.

Dave K8MN