Old May 26th 07, 03:26 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
Junius Junius is offline
Senior Member

Default Sony AN-LP1 Shortwave Active Loop Antenna -vice- Sony AN-1 LW+MW+SW Active Whip Antenna

On May 25, 9:58 pm, wrote:
Thanks, all.

I decided to go ahead and got a Sony Loop AN LP1 from buyfromjapan.
Seems like some of you are recommending Sony ICF7600GR as a good
matching portable, I don't have a small SW rig as of yet.

My favorite rig is a six tube 25 pound G500 -=Trans-Oceanic=-
suitcase. Which is theoretically portable as it runs on AA and D dry
cells and has its humongous WaveRod whip for an indoor antenna. But
imagine trying to keep it from being dinged up while carried on a
crowded city bus! I don't believe the old Zenith adds 'its a boon when
traveling'.

Anybody think a Grundig G5 is as good/better/not as good portable as
Sony ICF7600GR? The G5 has lots of alpha memory slots!

While I've heard that the G5 is a good radio, I've not used it
firsthand. I do have the '7600G and '7600GR, however. For its class,
this is a highly distinguished and capable series of radios, and I
would recommend the '7600GR wholeheartedly. The synchronous detection
circuitry of the '7600GR really provides a distinct performance edge
over many other portables in this price range. Synchronous detection
can often prove invaluable in the rejection of adjacent channel
interference in crowded bands.

You'll likely find satisfaction with either the G5 or the '7600GR.
Overall, though, I'd recommend the '7600GR over the G5.