Old June 17th 07, 12:41 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
Stephan Grossklass Stephan Grossklass is offline

Default Best FM receiver for my purposes

onealjn schrieb:

Hello All,

I am looking for a portable FM receiver that well perform well. My
ideal radio:

1. Portable. Does not have to be pocket-able, but that would be great.
I've seen the Grundig g5 and that size would be fine. Smaller is
better of course, but performance more important. I use a Tivoli PAL
at the moment, and would like something is not smaller, in a better
form factor for portability.

What one should keep in mind is that smaller size almost invariably
means that speaker sound quality will suffer in one way or another. IIRC
the PAL is not renowned to be the very best sounding Tivoli model ever,
but going to a pocketbook-sized portable with fairly little volume to
speak of isn't likely to be an upgrade.

2. Able to pull a signal in a concrete building, basement, manage
interference. I currently lug a Tivoli PAL around work. I love the
PAL's sound. It pulls signals in our building better than any other
radio (junk) I have access to here. But at times, it does have a hard
time. In the basement and in the lab, it can have a lot of noise in
the signal as well as a weak signal. If I touch the radio, clear and
loud sound. As I move around a lot at work, I can't bother with a
better antenna than a whip. Electronics in the lab and my computer can
cause problems for the PAL.

If RFI overlays the station you want to receive, about the only thing
one can do is remove the set and its antenna from interference
generators as far as possible. Basements usually are tricky places for
radio reception in general, with low signal levels - a sensitive
receiver would help here. A good capture ratio may help suppress RFI,
but in portables this is even more rarely specified than measured.

3. Pull a weak signal near a strong one. I listen to many college,
classical, NPR stations on the left side of the dial. Increasingly,
our market is becoming more dense on the FM band. The PAL normally
does a great job (see above).

This will require good selectivity. For this out of the box, I would
suggest either the classic Grundig YB400PE (the G4000A looks the same,
hopefully it also performs just as well) or the Eton E5 / Grundig G5
(these two only differ in looks). Wait, I forgot the Kaito KA1103, which
has the same receiving circuitry as the E5/G5, but less user-friendly
operation at a lower price. Reconditioned YB400PEs would be another
option for the penny pincher (Universal has some in stock), so getting
away below the $100 mark is entirely possible. Regardless of which you
choose, you're getting pretty much the best FM reception in this kind of
set.

Stephan
--
Home: http://stephan.win31.de/
So if it receives like a handbag, does it sound good at least?