Old June 18th 07, 04:44 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
onealjn onealjn is offline

Default Best FM receiver for my purposes

On Jun 16, 7:41 pm, Stephan Grossklass
wrote:

What one should keep in mind is that smaller size almost invariably
means that speaker sound quality will suffer in one way or another. IIRC
the PAL is not renowned to be the very best sounding Tivoli model ever,
but going to a pocketbook-sized portable with fairly little volume to
speak of isn't likely to be an upgrade.

Quality and volume of audio are O.K. to sacrifice for reception. I
usually listen to talk and classical at work at very low volumes.
Regarding the Tivoli's PAL's sound, I am thrilled with its performance
for its size. Everyone (non-audiophiles) who hears the little thing
can't believe how it sounds. Is this testament to the quality of the
PAL or more to the lack of quality of most portable receivers? I
dunno.

This will require good selectivity. For this out of the box, I would
suggest either the classic Grundig YB400PE (the G4000A looks the same,
hopefully it also performs just as well) or the Eton E5 / Grundig G5
(these two only differ in looks). Wait, I forgot the Kaito KA1103, which
has the same receiving circuitry as the E5/G5, but less user-friendly
operation at a lower price. Reconditioned YB400PEs would be another
option for the penny pincher (Universal has some in stock), so getting
away below the $100 mark is entirely possible. Regardless of which you
choose, you're getting pretty much the best FM reception in this kind of
set.

Thanks for the suggestions. Googling these models, I came across a
review in the _Monitoring Times_:

http://www.monitoringtimes.com/html/2007_reviews.html

The review compared all the models mentioned! Although the author was
primarily interested in SW, he did note that FM on the G5 was superior
to the other excellent models. Since I do want to try to receive some
shortwave programs from Europe (possible?), I am looking forward to
having an FM receiver that tunes SW as well.

Thank you very much,

Jason