Old July 10th 07, 03:57 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
American Insurgent American Insurgent is offline

Default Clandestine, Radio Free Chosun

On Jul 9, 7:06 pm, "Brenda Ann" wrote:
"American Insurgent" wrote in message

oups.com...

The Quran has its roots in the oral histories once chanted/recited by
the Arabs, long before they adopted written language. Virtually every
culture from the start of the human race to the widespread use of
writing had what the English language calls "bards". Their histories
were somewhere between singing and what we would think of as prose
recitation. "Chanting" is only a rough description.

Didn't Islam have libraries and universities in Europe shortly after
Muhammed died (8th century AD)?

I thought it was more like 10th century. I'm not sure when some of the
oldest Muslim universities, like al-Azhar in Cairo, were founded. I
know that Azhar was around by 1000 AD (11th century). Islam didn't
have much of a presence in Europe, except Spain, for quite a while-the
Balkans weren't Islamicized until well after 1000 AD. The Balkans were
controlled by the Christian Byzantines for centuries. I'm not sure
that Islam ever conquered the Basques, even when they had the rest of
Iberia. Hell, not even the Christian Spanish managed to conquer them.
Eventually Madrid simply gave the Basques autonomy so they would stop
blowing people up.

By the way, I just checked BDXC, and they say that the Quran service
on 15170 at 0300 has ended. The earliest Quran service is now 0600-too
late for Americans. The Quran can be heard on several other Muslim
stations.