Old July 7th 07, 09:04 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Default Clandestine, Radio Free Chosun

Radio Free Chosun, 9785, most likely the one heard here at 2000 s/on in Korean
directed to North Korea via Taiwan.

Very weak signal.

EiBi shows another clandestine, Radio Free North Korea, using 9785 beginning at
2030.

dxAce
Michigan
USA

Old July 7th 07, 09:09 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

dxAce wrote:

Radio Free Chosun, 9785, most likely the one heard here at 2000 s/on in Korean
directed to North Korea via Taiwan.

Very weak signal.

EiBi shows another clandestine, Radio Free North Korea, using 9785 beginning at
2030.

I should add that the Radio Free North Korea broadcast is also via Taiwan.

dxAce
Michigan
USA

Old July 9th 07, 10:39 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On Jul 7, 1:04 pm, dxAce wrote:
Radio Free Chosun, 9785, most likely the one heard here at 2000 s/on in Korean
directed to North Korea via Taiwan.

Very weak signal.

EiBi shows another clandestine, Radio Free North Korea, using 9785 beginning at
2030.

dxAce
Michigan
USA

It probably happened to be in the grayline, which is the only reason
you got it at all. I think that the sun is rising in South Korea
around 2000. I can usually pick up Quranic chanting from Saudi Arabia
at sign on at 0300, which is just around Saudi sunrise. By 0430 it's
gone, and the sun has risen fully in Riyadh.

Old July 9th 07, 10:53 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

American Insurgent wrote:

On Jul 7, 1:04 pm, dxAce wrote:
Radio Free Chosun, 9785, most likely the one heard here at 2000 s/on in Korean
directed to North Korea via Taiwan.

Very weak signal.

EiBi shows another clandestine, Radio Free North Korea, using 9785 beginning at
2030.

dxAce
Michigan
USA

It probably happened to be in the grayline, which is the only reason
you got it at all.

Well, it wasn't greyline propagation as I'm nowhere near that at 2000. Sunrise
enhancement, perhaps?

I think that the sun is rising in South Korea
around 2000.

Around 2020 or so, and sunrise in Taiwan (where the transmission originates from)
right around the same time.

I can usually pick up Quranic chanting from Saudi Arabia
at sign on at 0300, which is just around Saudi sunrise.

Not 'chanting' of course, but 'recitations'.

By 0430 it's
gone, and the sun has risen fully in Riyadh.

And the frequency is...?

dxAce
Michigan
USA

Old July 10th 07, 02:40 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On Jul 9, 2:53 pm, dxAce wrote:
American Insurgent wrote:
On Jul 7, 1:04 pm, dxAce wrote:
Radio Free Chosun, 9785, most likely the one heard here at 2000 s/on in Korean
directed to North Korea via Taiwan.

Very weak signal.

EiBi shows another clandestine, Radio Free North Korea, using 9785 beginning at
2030.

dxAce
Michigan
USA

It probably happened to be in the grayline, which is the only reason
you got it at all.

Well, it wasn't greyline propagation as I'm nowhere near that at 2000. Sunrise
enhancement, perhaps?

Yeah, that's what I meant. I tend to think of everything where the tx
site is on the line between sunlight and darkness as "grayline".

I think that the sun is rising in South Korea
around 2000.

Around 2020 or so, and sunrise in Taiwan (where the transmission originates from)
right around the same time.

That's what I thought.

I can usually pick up Quranic chanting from Saudi Arabia
at sign on at 0300, which is just around Saudi sunrise.

Not 'chanting' of course, but 'recitations'.

The Quran has its roots in the oral histories once chanted/recited by
the Arabs, long before they adopted written language. Virtually every
culture from the start of the human race to the widespread use of
writing had what the English language calls "bards". Their histories
were somewhere between singing and what we would think of as prose
recitation. "Chanting" is only a rough description.

"Recitation" is the closest thing we have in English to the meaning of
the Arabic word "qur'an". It is not exact, however. What we think of
as "chanting" (ie Gregorian chants) is more like song than the Arabic
chants/recitations. We don't have anything like the Quran in English,
somewhere between singing, chanting, and reciting. The Jewish Bible
(Old Testament) was originally written in the same fashion as the
Quran, meant to be recited, not spoken. The New Testament was written
in Greek prose, however.

By 0430 it's
gone, and the sun has risen fully in Riyadh.

And the frequency is...?

Sorry. 15170. I can hear it on my little Degen 1102 in California.
It's a great opportunity for Americans to hear the Quran as it was
meant to be delivered, by voice. It WAS delivered as such for the
first century or two of Islam's existence. It was only after multiple,
contradictory versions emerged that an effort was made to write it
down. But even now it is considered a great accomplishment among
Muslims to memorize the Quran and deliver it by voice. The best
reciters can recite any Sura that is suggested. Even the Jews have
mostly lost this ability.

Old July 10th 07, 03:06 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

"American Insurgent" wrote in message
oups.com...

The Quran has its roots in the oral histories once chanted/recited by
the Arabs, long before they adopted written language. Virtually every
culture from the start of the human race to the widespread use of
writing had what the English language calls "bards". Their histories
were somewhere between singing and what we would think of as prose
recitation. "Chanting" is only a rough description.

Didn't Islam have libraries and universities in Europe shortly after
Muhammed died (8th century AD)?

Old July 10th 07, 03:57 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On Jul 9, 7:06 pm, "Brenda Ann" wrote:
"American Insurgent" wrote in message

oups.com...

The Quran has its roots in the oral histories once chanted/recited by
the Arabs, long before they adopted written language. Virtually every
culture from the start of the human race to the widespread use of
writing had what the English language calls "bards". Their histories
were somewhere between singing and what we would think of as prose
recitation. "Chanting" is only a rough description.

Didn't Islam have libraries and universities in Europe shortly after
Muhammed died (8th century AD)?

I thought it was more like 10th century. I'm not sure when some of the
oldest Muslim universities, like al-Azhar in Cairo, were founded. I
know that Azhar was around by 1000 AD (11th century). Islam didn't
have much of a presence in Europe, except Spain, for quite a while-the
Balkans weren't Islamicized until well after 1000 AD. The Balkans were
controlled by the Christian Byzantines for centuries. I'm not sure
that Islam ever conquered the Basques, even when they had the rest of
Iberia. Hell, not even the Christian Spanish managed to conquer them.
Eventually Madrid simply gave the Basques autonomy so they would stop
blowing people up.

By the way, I just checked BDXC, and they say that the Quran service
on 15170 at 0300 has ended. The earliest Quran service is now 0600-too
late for Americans. The Quran can be heard on several other Muslim
stations.

Old July 10th 07, 05:31 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
RHF RHF is offline

On Jul 9, 7:57 pm, American Insurgent wrote:
On Jul 9, 7:06 pm, "Brenda Ann" wrote:

"American Insurgent" wrote in message

roups.com...

[...]

AI & BAD,

The Prophet Muhammad { Peace Be Upon Him }
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Muhammad
Was Born 570 and Died 632 CE
http://www.islamicart.com/library/history/prophet.html

The various parts of the Quran was written down
during the Prophet Muhammad's life and later
compiled around 650-656 CE in Arabia.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Qur%27an
* It is safe to say that the First Islamic Libraries
were formed in Arabia with the complilation of
the Quran.

Great Islamic Libraries
http://www.netmuslims.com/info/libraries.html

While the Great Library of Alexandria final destruction
is attributed to the Muslim conquest of Egypt around
642 CE
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Library_of_Alexandria

First In Western Europe :
From 711 to 1212 CE the various Muslims were

the Rulers of "Al-Andalus" {Spain, Portugal and
parts of Southern France.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Al-Andalus
* "Muslims and non-Muslims often came from
abroad to study in the famous Libraries and
Universities of Al-Andalus."

Followed by Eastern Europe :
The Ottoman Turks conquered Constantinople
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Constantinople
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fall_of_Constantinople
in 1453 CE and eventually it became the Capital
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ottoman_Empire
of the Ottoman Empire which lasted until the
founding of modern Turkey
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Turkey
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Istanbul
With the infusion of Islam into Eastern Europe
many old Libraries and Universities along with
Churches became Islamicized and other new
ones were created.

FWIW - The Reach of the Ottoman Empire
extended well into Central Europe many times
over the succeeding Centuries. This is part of
the foundation of the current Conflict in the
Balkans and the former Yugoslavia.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Balkans
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yugoslavia
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Breakup_of_Yugoslavia

as always more than you wanted to know ~ RHF