Old July 17th 07, 08:43 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
RHF RHF is offline

Default Help - Eton E5 and SSB

On Jul 16, 8:32 pm, Blue Streak wrote:
Fire Gardner wrote:
On Tue, 29 May 2007 23:44:13 -0700, RHF wrote:

On May 27, 10:41 am, Arthur Dent wrote:
I just purchased a Eton E5 radio with SSB. When I switch to SSB mode,
I can never hear anything. What am I doing wrong? Should I be
listening only to specific frequencies?
Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks Arthur

AD,

If the Eton E5 works like most AM/SSB Radios :
http://www.etoncorp.com/product_card...oductDbId=5968

1 - Tune in a strong 'local' AM/MW/BCB Radio Station
in the AM Mode and switch to SSB Mode [Button # 8]
and the SSB Icon will show in the LCD Screen.
- - - Or the 5 MHz or 10 MHz WWV Time Signal in
the Shortwave Radio Band.

2 - Use the Fine-Tuning Knob (Wheel) on the Side
to Tune in the Station {Clarify the Sound}. You may
fine one or two points that the Sound 'sounds' OK.

Most likely if this does not work : Then the SSB
feature is not working in your Radio

Read Pages 18 & 19 in the Manual.
http://www.etoncorp.com/upload/conte...anual_1206.pdf

Check-Out the Eton E5 / Grundig G5 / Degen DE1103 /
Kaito KA1103 Radio Owner's/User's Group
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/EtonE5/

Review of the Eton E5 / Grundig G5 Radio
-by- Jay Allen @ RadioIntel.Com
http://www.radiointel.com/review-etone5.htm

eHAM Reviews of the Eton E5 / Grundig G5 Radio
http://www.eham.net/reviews/detail/5687

First Look at the Eton E5 / Grundig G5 Radio
-by- Jim Clark [NR2G] @ Monitoring Times
http://www.monitoringtimes.com/html/...ook-etone5.pdf

hope this helps - iane ~ RHF
.
.
. .

Well, well that all is true, however I recently bought a Eton E5 portable,
quite cheap on e-bay for about half of retail price.which has worked fine
up till now. The other evening I tried to use SSB as I have done since I
bought the unit, and it appears to be 'stuck' on all frequencies - when I
tune in to normal LW, AM the unit appears to be stuck on a particular
frequency as well even though I can change the frequency on the dial there
is no change at all in stations.

At first I thought it was the 'hold'
facility on the lock and so I have reset the e5, and also wiped the
memory. The same issue! - No SSB, no AM, no LW, and no shortwave. The only
thing that works is FM.

I'm none to pleased as I have only had this portable a month.

I'm still trying to find out what is wrong with it, I'm even tempted to
open up the unit to investigate.

I will post a reply if I find a solution.

Morale of the story: don't buy used equipment on e-bay!- Hide quoted text -

eBay - One Man's Junk -is-
Another Man's Headache ~ RHF