Old May 27th 07, 06:41 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Default Help - Eton E5 and SSB

I just purchased a Eton E5 radio with SSB. When I switch to SSB mode,
I can never hear anything. What am I doing wrong? Should I be
listening only to specific frequencies?
Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks Arthur
Old May 27th 07, 06:55 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On May 27, 1:41 pm, Arthur Dent wrote:
I just purchased a Eton E5 radio with SSB. When I switch to SSB mode,
I can never hear anything. What am I doing wrong? Should I be
listening only to specific frequencies?
Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks Arthur

try the amateur frequencies for starters

in daylight try 7125-7300 or 14150-14350
at nightime try 3600-4000

there are other frequencies for sideband transmissions, but this
should give you a good start.

Old May 27th 07, 07:07 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Arthur Dent ) writes:
I just purchased a Eton E5 radio with SSB. When I switch to SSB mode,
I can never hear anything. What am I doing wrong? Should I be
listening only to specific frequencies?
Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks Arthur

If you "turn on" SSB, you should be hearing something. Because any signal
will still be receivable. The difference is that straight AM signals
will have a beat note. CW signals will not be an on/off thumping, they
will have a tone to them.

From the other side, you will hear SSB signals even when you've not
got things turned on for SSB. You won't be able to understand them,
but you should be able to make out that someone is speaking. One way
to describe SSB signals with no BFO turned on is that they are overmodulated,
too much modulation and not enough carrier, which is indeed what is
happening. When you switch on the SSB mode, it introduces a local signal
to beat against the incoming signal, and thus translate it down to audio.

SSB is not a different band. It is a form of modulation, and sprinkled
throughout the shortwave bands. It is rarely used for SW broadcasting,
so you aren't likely to find such signals there. As someone pointed out,
it is the dominant voice modulation used by hams. And it is used by
military, and other two-way communcation. But you have to look beyond
the SW broadcast bands to find them.

Michael

Old May 27th 07, 10:11 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On Sun, 27 May 2007 17:41:19 GMT, Arthur Dent
wrote:

I just purchased a Eton E5 radio with SSB. When I switch to SSB mode,
I can never hear anything. What am I doing wrong? Should I be
listening only to specific frequencies?
Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks Arthur

I also recommend the 20M amateur phone band (14.150 - 14.350 MHz)
during the daytime as a good place to practice receiving SSB. First
leave SSB off and tune in a station transmitting voice. You won't be
able to understand it if it's SSB. Then when you have it tuned in AM,
turn on the SSB. You still won't be able to understand it. Now with
SSB on move the - Fine + wheel around. You want to approach the
signal from one side or the other with this wheel and slowly tune
toward the middle. As you come in from the correct side, the signal
will be high pitched but you will start to understand the speech.
Continue turing the wheel slowly until the pitch becomes normal. If
it doesn't work, move the wheel all the way to the other side and
slowly go back toward the middle again. If still no luck, try tuning
the main tuning dial up or down 1 kHz and try again. It takes some
practice but if you have a strong signal you can play around until you
tune it in.
Old May 30th 07, 07:44 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
RHF RHF is offline

On May 27, 10:41 am, Arthur Dent wrote:
I just purchased a Eton E5 radio with SSB. When I switch to SSB mode,
I can never hear anything. What am I doing wrong? Should I be
listening only to specific frequencies?
Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks Arthur

AD,

If the Eton E5 works like most AM/SSB Radios :
http://www.etoncorp.com/product_card...oductDbId=5968

1 - Tune in a strong 'local' AM/MW/BCB Radio Station
in the AM Mode and switch to SSB Mode [Button # 8]
and the SSB Icon will show in the LCD Screen.
- - - Or the 5 MHz or 10 MHz WWV Time Signal in
the Shortwave Radio Band.

2 - Use the Fine-Tuning Knob (Wheel) on the Side
to Tune in the Station {Clarify the Sound}. You may
fine one or two points that the Sound 'sounds' OK.

Most likely if this does not work : Then the SSB
feature is not working in your Radio

Read Pages 18 & 19 in the Manual.
http://www.etoncorp.com/upload/conte...anual_1206.pdf

Check-Out the Eton E5 / Grundig G5 / Degen DE1103 /
Kaito KA1103 Radio Owner's/User's Group
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/EtonE5/

Review of the Eton E5 / Grundig G5 Radio
-by- Jay Allen @ RadioIntel.Com
http://www.radiointel.com/review-etone5.htm

eHAM Reviews of the Eton E5 / Grundig G5 Radio
http://www.eham.net/reviews/detail/5687

First Look at the Eton E5 / Grundig G5 Radio
-by- Jim Clark [NR2G] @ Monitoring Times
http://www.monitoringtimes.com/html/...ook-etone5.pdf

hope this helps - iane ~ RHF

Old June 11th 07, 04:26 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On Tue, 29 May 2007 23:44:13 -0700, RHF wrote:

[...]

.
.
. .

Well, well that all is true, however I recently bought a Eton E5 portable,
quite cheap on e-bay for about half of retail price.which has worked fine
up till now. The other evening I tried to use SSB as I have done since I
bought the unit, and it appears to be 'stuck' on all frequencies - when I
tune in to normal LW, AM the unit appears to be stuck on a particular
frequency as well even though I can change the frequency on the dial there
is no change at all in stations.

At first I thought it was the 'hold'
facility on the lock and so I have reset the e5, and also wiped the
memory. The same issue! - No SSB, no AM, no LW, and no shortwave. The only
thing that works is FM.

I'm none to pleased as I have only had this portable a month.

I'm still trying to find out what is wrong with it, I'm even tempted to
open up the unit to investigate.

I will post a reply if I find a solution.
Old July 17th 07, 04:32 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Fire Gardner wrote:
[...]

Morale of the story: don't buy used equipment on e-bay!

Old July 17th 07, 08:43 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
RHF RHF is offline

On Jul 16, 8:32 pm, Blue Streak wrote:
Fire Gardner wrote:
[...]

Morale of the story: don't buy used equipment on e-bay!- Hide quoted text -

eBay - One Man's Junk -is-
Another Man's Headache ~ RHF

Eton E-10 Hal Shortwave 6 March 27th 06 11:14 PM
ABOUT - The Eton {Etón} 'Elite' E5 AM/FM Shortwave Radio - Part II - RHF Shortwave 4 February 15th 06 12:23 AM
AN-LP1 and Eton E1 DJ Bjorklund Shortwave 4 January 3rd 06 04:59 PM
Eton E5 YBZ Shortwave 6 November 8th 05 02:22 AM
Eton E1XM Radio "News & Info" / Who has the Eton E1 XM Radio "For Sale" ? / Locating an Eton E1 XM Radio to Buy ! RHF Shortwave 0 August 16th 05 03:37 AM