Old May 15th 07, 08:03 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.radio
Gordon Richmond Gordon Richmond is offline

Default RCA woodworking quandry

2)Rinse the contaminated areas with a mild bleach solution to neutralize
what may be left of the acid. Rinse and allow to dry for a day or two

Nelson:

Bleach won't neutralize acid; it's an oxidzing agent just as sulfuric acid is. What could
happen is that residual acid could react with the bleach and release chlorine gas. Not to
be recommended!

I'd suggest using baking soda solution to neutralize the acid. Safe, and won't harm the
wood.

The remainder of your suggestions are right on. I saw some wonder glue the other day,
Elmers Ultimate Glue, I think it is. It is a urethane glue that foams slightly upon
exposure to air, and then sets up. A friend was using it to mend some dry-rotted areas in
the woodwork of a Model T Ford. Amazing stuff, and it ought to do this job just fine. Can
be sanded and worked once hard.

Even autobody filler would work OK under new veneer.

Lee Valley Tools has a whole lot of products for restoring damaged wood, too.

Gordon Richmond