Old July 25th 07, 06:25 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna,alt.tv.tech.hdtv
szilagyic szilagyic is offline

Default Antenna combiner/joiner question

On Jul 25, 12:32 am, G-squared wrote:
On Jul 24, 7:50 pm, wrote:

In alt.tv.tech.hdtv szilagyic wrote:

| This makes sense, but does this apply for antennas that are pointed in
| opposite directions? I just want to clarify, you are basically saying
| to alter the cable length by say, a portion of a wavelength (a half of
| a wavelength?), for one of our favorite channels that is having issues?

No antenna perfectly eliminates the back lobe. Some just do better than
others (like a solid parabolic dish). The bow tie antenns will receive
some signal in the reverse direction. If that back lobe reception on one
combines out of phase with the front lobe of the other, it will reduce
the total sign somewhat.

--
|---------------------------------------/----------------------------------*|
| first name lower case at ipal.net / |

Would some of these 'jointennas" reduce the interference /
interaction? They're not cheap but as much a s a cable bill.

http://www.warrenelectronics.com/ant...Jointennas.htm

Did I miss it or did nobody ask what the actual channels in question
are? Any idea of the relative signal strengths? How far away? I would
think if the antennas are "spectally separated" via diplexers, the
cable lengths woun't be all that critical. It also depends on how far
apart the channel frequencies are. If you have a 28 and 30 in front
and are trying to get a 29 from the back, that will be tough but if
it's several channel numbers apart, it is less tough. SO, what are the
channels in question?

GG

GG,

I came across those Jointennas and they look very interesting.
Unfortunately the channels (frequencies) we are trying to get are all
spread out. Here's a list anyway:

On the first antenna (VHF/UHF/FM) we get channels
2,4,7,9,20,28,50,56,62 (analog), and 14,21,41,43,44,45,52,58
(digital).

On the second antenna (UHF only) we get channels 18,23,47,53 (analog),
and 34,38,51,57,59 (digital).

Just out of curiousity, what is the average loss in dB when using the
Jointennas, or does it vary? I haven't been able to find any info on
the loss.

Thank you very much. There have been some great ideas posted in this
thread and we will try various things hopefully soon and see what
works.
--
Chris