Old July 28th 07, 05:07 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
Frank Dresser Frank Dresser is offline

Default Times up for iNiquity - Ha Ha !

"K Isham" wrote in message news:46a9ece9@kcnews01...

If I were developing IBOC, I would have petitioned the FCC to use the
1600 to 1700 KHZ upper band to broadcast the digital signal only at full
strength and designed the IBOC receivers to automatically select the
digital signal when available, otherwise the receiver would just tune in
the analog signal as normal, this would be a seam-less process that the
listener wouldn't even have to think about, much like when the FM or AM
stereo reception in fringe areas switches out to provide maximum
fidelity.

[snip]

That's an interesting idea, but it might be even better if the imagined IBOC
radios refered the standard AM station to an IBOC FM sideband.

People just don't seem very interested in digital simulcasts of analog FM or
the secondary also-ran fare, but there would be some benefit for AM radio if
the programming could be heard in steel frame buildings and walkman type
radios wouldn't have to be continually reoriented for good reception.

Frank Dresser