Old July 27th 07, 03:06 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Default Times up for iNiquity - Ha Ha !

wrote:
On Jul 26, 8:14?pm, D Peter Maus wrote:
wrote:
"HD Radio Marketing: Change is Coming"
"The date is no surprise. It was a 2-year deal. It ends in January.I
agree it's time to re-assess. The problem with the licensing plan is
two very different groups with different agendas pay the fee. Which is
why neither is happy. Broadcasters pay for the encoder, and they're
not happy with the radios, and electronics manufacturers pay for the
decoder, and they're not happy with anything. They see no demand, and
therefore, no return on their investment.I think the best bet is for
everyone to walk away at the end of this deal, and leave iBiquity to
think about what went wrong."
"Maybe the date is no surprise to you, George. But the lack of renewal
of that deal for a later date might be a surprise to some."
http://www.hear2.com/2007/07/hd-radi....html#comments
"HD Radio - what's the holdup?"
"The way I see it, there are at least two very large barriers standing
in the way... The lack of subsidies, however, has really made it
difficult for iBiquity to move things along. Moreover, the slow
adoption rate has kept the company's operating expense burn rate high,
which has in turn delayed investors' payoff. If the burn rate is high
enough and the rate of adoption is slow enough, well, let's just say
that's not a good thing."
http://news.com.com/8301-10784_3-9750405-7.html
Ha Ha !!!

RADIO isn't going to give up on this lightly. After the millions
spent, hardware installed, transmitter sites bought, paid for, and
bullt, broadcasters aren't going to simply cut their losses and run.

Expect additional marketing maneuvers. I wouldn't rule out a change
in business model.

Now, if it doesn't catch fire soon, AM HD will have effectively
killed AM radio. But AM's are moving to FM, or secondary HD channels on
FM stations, as WLS is now on WZZN.

But there's a lot at stake here. HD may go the way of AM stereo. But
don't think for a minute that HD is over. Not yet. Not by a long shot.- Hide quoted text -

It doesn't matter what broadcasters want - that was the whole problem
with HD Radio; HD Radio was for the broadcasters, but consumers voted
NO:

That doesn't mean they're going to give up. It just means that
eventually consumer apathy may prevail down the road. If consumer apathy
prevails.

For now, at least, broadcasters will soldier on, until either they
make it stick, get an FCC mandate for digital only broadcast, or it
finally, mercifully, goes away.

It may not look good, but the matter is not yet settled.

Old July 27th 07, 11:27 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

wrote:
[...]

It may not look good, but the matter is not yet settled.- Hide quoted text -

You are very amusing - it's over !

Old July 27th 07, 11:57 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
RHF RHF is offline

wrote:
[...]

DPM,

When the FCC and the Radio Industry can get
US Auto-Makers to make HD Radios 'standard'
Equipment in all new Cars - Then "HD" Radio will
be 'accepted' by the Radio Listening Public.

When the FCC "Mandates" that all new 'imported'
AM/FM Radios are "HD" Radios - Then "HD" Radio
will be 'adapted' by the Radio Listening Public.

Otherwise the 'acceptance' and 'adaption' of HD
Radio will take 5-15 Years like FM Radio did
-and- HD Radio has only been around for about
2-3 Years so only time will tell . . . ~ RHF
Old July 27th 07, 10:42 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

In article 46a9ece9@kcnews01, K Isham wrote:

wrote:
[...]

.

Which was my point. It's not over until the service is
decommissioned. Keep in mind that FM failed. Twice. Until it didn't.
And even when FM finally gained acceptance, it took 15 years.

So, while IBOC hasn't set the bands on fire with rabid consumption of
it's product, it isn't necessarily DOA, either.

RADIO isn't going to give up on this lightly.

If I were developing IBOC, I would have petitioned the FCC to use the
1600 to 1700 KHZ upper band to broadcast the digital signal only at full
strength and designed the IBOC receivers to automatically select the
digital signal when available, otherwise the receiver would just tune in
the analog signal as normal, this would be a seam-less process that the
listener wouldn't even have to think about, much like when the FM or AM
stereo reception in fringe areas switches out to provide maximum
fidelity.

Having a limited band HD makes to much sense and iBiquity was intending
to cram HD down everyones throats anyway.

In my dxing there is relatively little commercial or otherwise in
this upper band. In my QTH of Tucson, AZ, even though several of our
local broadcasters licensed to broadcast there, none do so today,
therefore, the upper am band conversion to digital would cause the
minimum disruption on the AM band. Just a thought.

You are about to run out of luck when they start HD broadcasting at
night.

--
Telamon
Ventura, California
Old July 28th 07, 03:15 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
RHF RHF is offline

wrote:
[...]

fidelity. In my dxing there is relatively little commercial or otherwise
in this upper band. In my QTH of Tucson, AZ, even though several of our
local broadcasters licensed to broadcast there, none do so today,
therefore, the upper am band conversion to digital would cause the
minimum disruption on the AM band.
Just a thought.
Ken- Hide quoted text -

Ken - Good Thinking ~ RHF

Old July 28th 07, 03:21 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
RHF RHF is offline

Default (OT) : Times up for iNiquity - Ha Ha !

wrote:
[...]

the buzz, Oh The Buzz. BUZZzzz ! ! ! ~ RHF

--
Telamon
Ventura, California- Hide quoted text -

Old July 28th 07, 03:40 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
RHF RHF is offline

wrote:
[...]

RADIO isn't going to give up on this lightly.- Hide quoted text -

DPM - Let's 'hope' We are All here in 15 Years to
see Success or Failure - only time will tell ~ RHF

Old July 28th 07, 05:07 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

"K Isham" wrote in message news:46a9ece9@kcnews01...

If I were developing IBOC, I would have petitioned the FCC to use the
1600 to 1700 KHZ upper band to broadcast the digital signal only at full
strength and designed the IBOC receivers to automatically select the
digital signal when available, otherwise the receiver would just tune in
the analog signal as normal, this would be a seam-less process that the
listener wouldn't even have to think about, much like when the FM or AM
stereo reception in fringe areas switches out to provide maximum
fidelity.

[snip]

That's an interesting idea, but it might be even better if the imagined IBOC
radios refered the standard AM station to an IBOC FM sideband.

People just don't seem very interested in digital simulcasts of analog FM or
the secondary also-ran fare, but there would be some benefit for AM radio if
the programming could be heard in steel frame buildings and walkman type
radios wouldn't have to be continually reoriented for good reception.

Frank Dresser