Old November 3rd 03, 03:48 PM
Cecil Moore

Roy Lewallen wrote:
Tell us, Cecil, at steady state at one frequency, can a lumped inductor
(presumably like the experimenter's toroid) tell whether it's at the
base of an antenna or simply in series between a generator and load
impedance?

This question proves you don't understand the problem. The inductor
cannot tell if it is installed in an antenna or transmission line.

So I will turn the question around: Does a standing wave antenna
have standing waves? Reference _Antenna_Theory- by Balanis, page 17,
section 1.4 Current Distrubution on a Thin Wire Antenna. Is Balanis
correct when he says: "If the diameter of each wire is very small,
the ideal standing wave pattern of the current along the arms of
the (1/2WL) dipole is sinusoidal with a null at the end."

This is after he takes an unterminated transmission line, discusses
standing waves, and then slowly opens up the ends of the transmission
line to create a 1/2WL dipole.

I took Balanis' antenna course at ASU in 1995. I asked a lot of
questions about inductively loaded antennas. The current and
standing wave pattern on each side of a loading coil is NOT the same.
--
73, Cecil http://www.qsl.net/w5dxp