Old August 3rd 07, 02:29 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
David David is offline

Default Sony ICF SW-100: bad battery leakage, advice needed !

On Thu, 02 Aug 2007 20:57:13 -0400, Zeke Zzzppt
wrote:

David wrote:

You have to use mild acid on alkaline battery ooze. White vinegar is
a good choice. Use a flux brush. Rinse with anhydrol, then distilled
water. Dry with gentle warm dry air (or leave it in the sun for a
day).

1) As far as I can tell, "anhydrol" is 85% ethanol and 12 % isopropanol
and methanol. Where do you buy anhydrol and why not just use hardware
store alcohol (shellac thinner)?

2) Wouldn't it be better to use the anhydrol/alcohol as the final step
(or just skip the water entirely), rather than water as the last step?
The alcohol will evaporate much more quickly than the water.

The water free alcohol is to wash away any salts left over. I like to
use pure water after the alcohol wash because it's pure water.