Old August 3rd 07, 06:54 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
RHF RHF is offline

Default Sony ICF SW-100: bad battery leakage, advice needed !

On Aug 3, 6:29 am, David wrote:
On Thu, 02 Aug 2007 20:57:13 -0400, Zeke Zzzppt
wrote:

David wrote:

You have to use mild acid on alkaline battery ooze. White vinegar is
a good choice. Use a flux brush. Rinse with anhydrol, then distilled
water. Dry with gentle warm dry air (or leave it in the sun for a
day).

1) As far as I can tell, "anhydrol" is 85% ethanol and 12 % isopropanol
and methanol. Where do you buy anhydrol and why not just use hardware
store alcohol (shellac thinner)?

2) Wouldn't it be better to use the anhydrol/alcohol as the final step
(or just skip the water entirely), rather than water as the last step?
The alcohol will evaporate much more quickly than the water.

- The water free alcohol is to wash away any salts left over.

Without desolving the salts and causing more corrosion.

- I like to use pure water after the alcohol wash because it's pure
water.

To flush out the area and cleanse it.