Old August 15th 07, 06:49 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.equipment
Pete Brown Pete Brown is offline

Default Opinions on RM Italy amplifiers

"Rick (W-A-one-R-K-T)" wrote in message
news
On Tue, 31 Jul 2007 14:32:38 +0000, Michael Black wrote:

And once again, that rule came into effect because companies and even
individuals were selling junk amplifiers for CB under the guise of
"not suitable for Class D citizen band use".

The rule has nothing to do with amateur radio, it has to do with
the illegal use of amplifiers on the citizen band.

Right. My point exactly. The FCC can't seem to figure out how to go
after the real lawbreakers so they just enact a rule that penalizes the
rest of us just to save them from having to get off their asses and go
after the bad guys.

(I was going to say "pass a rule" but that implies that we actually got to
vote on that... sorry, don't know what I was thinking...)

Realistically, nobody should be giving business to a company that
sold such amplifiers, even if they are no producing legit amplifiers.
Because such companies are the reason for the rule, and feed their
pockets and you are basically giving them acceptance.

I suppose. But, the thing is used and privately owned, so I would be
giving money to somebody who gave money to somebody (etc. through who
knows how many levels) who gave business to a company that sold such
amplifiers.

Every time you fill your car with gas you give money to somebody who gave
money to somebody (etc. etc.) who gave money to the people who murdered
your fellow citizens on 9/11. And so on.

If we had to analyze every purchase we made on the basis of who eventually
gets the money, none of us would ever buy anything.

RM Italy has a Ham range designated by the H in HLA300, The amplifier has
both ptt switching and carrier operated relay. These amplifiers have auto
band selection and manual band selection options. The selection system
inserts the appropriate LPF to keep the amp clean. The power claim is 300W
CW and 500W PEP. My experience is that although my Daiwa cross needle meter
only ever showed around the low side of 300W on the PEP selection of the
meter, the amplifier has a significant presence when in use. Working JA
stations form South Africa on 40m with a rotatable dipole proved to be quite
comfortable and signal reports were similar to what I get from my ACOM 1000
running at 400W.

HTH