Old July 30th 07, 03:49 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.equipment

Default Opinions on RM Italy amplifiers

I have a chance to buy a used RM Italy HLA-300-V HF amplifier, which can
be driven by my FT-817 and claims to be capable of as much as 300 watts
out on 160 through 10.

I know that some of the older RM Italy amplifiers were known for dirty
output and poor harmonic suppression, and were intended mostly for illegal
use on CB, but some of their newer offerings seem to be geared for the
whole HF band and I'm wondering if they have cleaned up.

I know they are still illegal to import into the USA but this one is here
now and I ask no questions about how it got here.

Any opinions about RM Italy in general and this model in particular?

Thanks...

Old July 31st 07, 12:48 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.equipment

"Rick (W-A-one-R-K-T)" wrote in message
news

I have a chance to buy a used RM Italy HLA-300-V HF amplifier, which can
be driven by my FT-817 and claims to be capable of as much as 300 watts
out on 160 through 10.

I know that some of the older RM Italy amplifiers were known for dirty
output and poor harmonic suppression, and were intended mostly for illegal
use on CB, but some of their newer offerings seem to be geared for the
whole HF band and I'm wondering if they have cleaned up.

I know they are still illegal to import into the USA but this one is here
now and I ask no questions about how it got here.

Any opinions about RM Italy in general and this model in particular?

Thanks...

RM Italy targeted the USA high powered CB market (big mistake). Those units
(usually red colored) are only built for 26-30 MHz -- NO low pass filter
switching.
Have you even gone to their Italian web site and looked?
http://www.rmitaly.com/home.asp
Much of it is junk for European and Middle East markets

They started an amateur radio line where they add a band switch on front
panel -- HOWEVER -- I ahve NOT seen one. How to you get afilter to fit
intot hat space -- doubtful that it is useful.

RM Italy has NOT not submitted their amateur units for FCC approval
(spectral purity, etc.) -- which may require design changes to meet minimum
requirements.
http://www.rmitaly.com/showProducts....19&NumPagRec=1

Do some GOOGLE searches, read reviews opinions on eHam.net

gb

Old July 31st 07, 05:22 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.equipment

On Mon, 30 Jul 2007 18:48:07 -0500, gb wrote:

RM Italy targeted the USA high powered CB market (big mistake). Those
units (usually red colored) are only built for 26-30 MHz -- NO low pass
filter switching.

Right, but their newer ones (grey in color if I recall correctly) are, as
you noted below, designed for 160-10.

They started an amateur radio line where they add a band switch on front
panel -- HOWEVER -- I ahve NOT seen one. How to you get afilter to fit
intot hat space -- doubtful that it is useful.

They look similar in size and form factor to Tokyo Hy Power HF amps which
seem to have a pretty good reputation.

RM Italy has NOT not submitted their amateur units for FCC approval
(spectral purity, etc.)

Of course not. They couldn't get them approved anyway. The FCC clings
tenaciously to that retarded rule of theirs against low-drive-power HF
amps... FT-817 and IC-703 owners be damned. As usual, they are too lazy
to go after the real culprits so they penalize everybody.

Old July 31st 07, 12:49 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.equipment

I've had RM's on my mobile radio. They worked well and got out pretty
good. But dont bother with commercially made linears. Get a FATBOY or
Eastcoast Amplifiers... Now youre talking POWER!
Cowboy 269

Old July 31st 07, 03:32 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.equipment

"Rick " ) writes:
[...]

And once again, that rule came into effect because companies and even
individuals were selling junk amplifiers for CB under the guise of
"not suitable for Class D citizen band use".

The rule has nothing to do with amateur radio, it has to do with
the illegal use of amplifiers on the citizen band.

Realistically, nobody should be giving business to a company that
sold such amplifiers, even if they are no producing legit amplifiers.
Because such companies are the reason for the rule, and feed their
pockets and you are basically giving them acceptance.

Michael VE2BVW

Old July 31st 07, 03:53 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.equipment

On Tue, 31 Jul 2007 14:32:38 +0000, Michael Black wrote:

And once again, that rule came into effect because companies and even
individuals were selling junk amplifiers for CB under the guise of
"not suitable for Class D citizen band use".

The rule has nothing to do with amateur radio, it has to do with
the illegal use of amplifiers on the citizen band.

Right. My point exactly. The FCC can't seem to figure out how to go
after the real lawbreakers so they just enact a rule that penalizes the
rest of us just to save them from having to get off their asses and go
after the bad guys.

(I was going to say "pass a rule" but that implies that we actually got to
vote on that... sorry, don't know what I was thinking...)

Realistically, nobody should be giving business to a company that
sold such amplifiers, even if they are no producing legit amplifiers.
Because such companies are the reason for the rule, and feed their
pockets and you are basically giving them acceptance.

I suppose. But, the thing is used and privately owned, so I would be
giving money to somebody who gave money to somebody (etc. through who
knows how many levels) who gave business to a company that sold such
amplifiers.

Every time you fill your car with gas you give money to somebody who gave
money to somebody (etc. etc.) who gave money to the people who murdered
your fellow citizens on 9/11. And so on.

If we had to analyze every purchase we made on the basis of who eventually
gets the money, none of us would ever buy anything.

Old August 15th 07, 06:49 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.equipment

[...]

RM Italy has a Ham range designated by the H in HLA300, The amplifier has
both ptt switching and carrier operated relay. These amplifiers have auto
band selection and manual band selection options. The selection system
inserts the appropriate LPF to keep the amp clean. The power claim is 300W
CW and 500W PEP. My experience is that although my Daiwa cross needle meter
only ever showed around the low side of 300W on the PEP selection of the
meter, the amplifier has a significant presence when in use. Working JA
stations form South Africa on 40m with a rotatable dipole proved to be quite
comfortable and signal reports were similar to what I get from my ACOM 1000
running at 400W.

HTH

FS: RM Italy HLA-300 AL G. Swap 3 February 6th 10 10:51 PM
WTB: RM Italy 300 al goss Swap 0 February 5th 07 11:43 AM
Italy FM Radio 94.3 MHz Gerard M Foley Broadcasting 0 April 17th 06 05:51 AM
[SOTA][ITALY]PM-077 IZ1GJK Dx 0 July 1st 05 11:53 PM
RM Italy RM3 transistors Chris Homebrew 0 September 11th 04 02:02 PM