Old September 10th 07, 03:40 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
shaq shaq is offline

Default I don't know who developed DeOxit

On Sep 10, 2:09 am, "Frank Dresser"
wrote:
"shaq" wrote in message

ps.com...

Oh, two things. Tried oleic and it cracked my RCA plastic connectors
after two weeks.

Thanks for the warning. Do you know what sort of plastic the connectors
had? The connectors I usually deal with are made with phenolics which are
resistant to most common chemicals. I'm not aware of any complaints posted
at rec.radio.antique+phono either.

What did you dilute the stuff with?

Won't use cease and desist stuff again - cost me
money and lots of time replacing my RCA sockets in my amp. Oh and
two, if you spent lots of money developing and trademarking a product
and someone came along and claimed they had the same product and
called it an "exact" replacement - I think you would get hopping mad.
CRC and LPS stuff work well as flushing stuff of parts, butDeoxit
always seems to make things better - has ALWAYS worked for me.

Mike

I have no idea what the development and trademark costs ofDeOxitwere, but
I know Caig is free to sell their product for whatever price they can get.
And Caig is doing the sensible thing in protecting their trademark.

Just consider how much Bayer lost when they didn't protect the Aspirin name!

Frank Dresser

Phenolics are much better, except if they get a stress fracture, then
they can obsorb any liquid and crack. I had some old style phone
relays that was washed with a cleaner that had alcohol in it, the
phenolics somehow obsorbed the fluid (alcohol) and it did not
evaporate - the phenolic actually became conductive - my only
explaination was that the alcohol (which is polar) became trapped in
the phenolic.
My connectors, I think were AR or Monster style. I have used some hi-
end stuff that had a clear coating on them (think they were made in
Germany) and they cracked from the oleic within a few hours - actually
broke apart. Luckily I found out sooner rather than later. So I will
stick to using Deoxit, it has gotten me out of so many jams and always
seems to amaze me. One of my office techs was having a heck of a time
with one of our office computers recently, until finally he treated
the video card edge connector with DeoxIt GOLD and has worked
flawlessly ever since - and without cracking and killing the
patient, :-)
Also was thinking about people giving Caig Labs are hard time about
protecting their investment - If I was to copy (use) your name and SS#
and claimed it was mine, used it in commerce or solicitations, would
you get upset? Duh!

Enjoy, Mike