Old September 12th 07, 10:03 PM posted to rec.radio.cb
Steveo Steveo is offline

Default Very short duration skip

wrote:
On Tue, 11 Sep 2007 19:05:54 -0700, static
wrote:

|On Sep 7, 10:27 pm, Jay in the Mojave wrote:
| Hello All:
|
| Anybody getting DX skip stations that come in and go in a matter of
| only a few seconds. I have a 2 and a 4 element quad beam antenna up
| and testing. I have this fast in and out skip stations on all of my
| antennas.
|
| Jay in the Mojave
|
|It may be that you are getting short propagation events from the
|ionized tails of meteors reflecting distant signals .
|There have been long-haul comm systems built to utilize this effect,
|they sound for a path and send a data burst when there is an open
|path.
|phil

I can see meteor ionization working for short time duration at VHF
frequencies down to about 50MHz but was unaware that effect worked
down around 28 MHz. Then again if the atmosphere is quiet enough it
could be possible.

I know that one can get sporadic E for periods between 10 seconds to
on hour range.

james

Yep, and in different directions at the same time too.