Old September 17th 07, 04:15 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors
Deek Deek is offline

Default How to get started restoring a DX-40

Rick (W-A-one-R-K-T) wrote:

A neighbor gave me a Heath DX-40 transmitter and VF-1 VFO that had been
sitting God knows where for God knows how long, and tonight I pulled them
up into the shack from the garage to see what if anything I could do with
them.

Cleaning and refinishing the case will be the toughest job. If the stain is
corrosion then a replacement case may be an option [watch eBay]. If it is
stained, a fine grit sanding followed by little spray paint [AKA Rustoleum Gray]
will provide a decent finish.

Electronically, change out three electrolytic capacitors in the DX40 before you
even think about applying power. The two orange/tan electrolytics shown in your
photos [basic power supply] and the blue one at the lower side [300 VDC for
oscillator, etc.]. I used LTE electrolytics. The LTEs have different physical
configuration but were useable and inexpensive.

Get some contact cleaner and a small moderately stiff brush [solder/resin
removal brush 5 for $1 variety] and liberally spray all the switch contacts and
brush the wipers down to remove any 'dark' stuff. The T/R contact may be pitted.
It breaks the HV power and sees a small spark when operated. Mine is pitted and
still works fine.

Test the tubes, or have them tested. I picked up a complete spare set at a
seasonal ham flea market for $20.

Vacuum the interior and a little burnishing should clean up the chassis.

Mine took about 3 hours to clean up and get operating. It cost about $35 for
electrolytics and spare tubes. I've used it on 80/40 CW and 75 AM phone. [It is
a little pistol on AM phone though].

It is a nice rainy day project when there are no sports on tv, XYL is out
shopping with your daughter, and the lawn mower needs repair.

NOTE: Fix the lawn mower after the restoration :-)

/s/ DD, W1MCE