Old September 17th 07, 02:46 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors

Default How to get started restoring a DX-40

A neighbor gave me a Heath DX-40 transmitter and VF-1 VFO that had been
sitting God knows where for God knows how long, and tonight I pulled them
up into the shack from the garage to see what if anything I could do with
them.

You can see the "Before" photos at http://www.rkt-tech.com/DX40 (at least
for the transmitter ... I haven't taken the VFO out of its case yet).

You can see that it needs a little work. :-\

(Amazingly, though, the underside doesn't look half bad...)

Having never done one of these restorations before ... where do I start?

I know ... "First, get a medium-size trash can and lay them both gently
within...". I also know about what they'd be worth if they were in good
shape... not nearly enough to justify the work. Still, I would like to
see if I can get them running just to see if I can.

What kinds of cleaners can I use to clean the cabinet (as best it can be
cleaned) and the top of the chassis, that won't eat the paint from the
cabinet or damage the components inside (assuming any of the components
are any good)?

Then I guess I'll need to find me a variac... pretty sure there's one
around here someplace...

Old September 17th 07, 02:51 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors

"Rick (W-A-one-R-K-T)" wrote in message
news

You're kidding about the garbage can, right??? If not, I'll take them off
your hands!

I'd definately replace the DX 40 filters to start with. 40 or 50 year
electrolytics
are garbage, even you can reform them... Spend a few bucks and do that
part right. Any other electrolytics or paper caps should also be changed.

Check the resistors for obviously signs of overheating. You could do a quick
ohmmeter check to see if any have shifted upwards in value while you're at
it.
The little VF-1 probably could stand a quick alignment, not much to go wrong
with her! You might check the tubes, but if the transmitter makes power then
you are good to go. Clean the cabinets with soap and water or some Fantistic
spray cleaner. You have the start to a real nice classic station; enjoy it
and
treasure it.

Pete k1zjh

Old September 17th 07, 02:55 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors

Remove the tubes and scrub the chassis with
an old toothbrush and some cleaner after blowing
away the loose debris...

Be careful not to get any liquids into wafer sockets.

The cabinets might need to be repainted, they look pretty gross.
If the front panels are good it would be worth the effort.

Too bad you weren't able to rescue those a few decades
earlier! I would do what I could to restore them if
they were mine!

pete k1zjh

Old September 17th 07, 11:03 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors

I'll certainly second what's been said. The goop on the cabinets may
well be removable with some of the current cleaners (to include
Goof-Off, used with care!). You might even consider un-building the
unit and clean the chassis up completely. The front panels don't look
bad, at all, and you'll end up with a nice set of equipment. One can't
judge the effort based on the dollar value of your time.. you'll lose
that trade-off in a heart-beat! Its the fact that you did the job and
the results that count... Give it a try. Any bad parts you might find,
except maybe the power transformer, are readily available. Those two
units are an ideal entry point for the restoration process....... de K3HVG

Old September 17th 07, 04:15 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors

Rick (W-A-one-R-K-T) wrote:

A neighbor gave me a Heath DX-40 transmitter and VF-1 VFO that had been
sitting God knows where for God knows how long, and tonight I pulled them
up into the shack from the garage to see what if anything I could do with
them.

Cleaning and refinishing the case will be the toughest job. If the stain is
corrosion then a replacement case may be an option [watch eBay]. If it is
stained, a fine grit sanding followed by little spray paint [AKA Rustoleum Gray]
will provide a decent finish.

Electronically, change out three electrolytic capacitors in the DX40 before you
even think about applying power. The two orange/tan electrolytics shown in your
photos [basic power supply] and the blue one at the lower side [300 VDC for
oscillator, etc.]. I used LTE electrolytics. The LTEs have different physical
configuration but were useable and inexpensive.

Get some contact cleaner and a small moderately stiff brush [solder/resin
removal brush 5 for $1 variety] and liberally spray all the switch contacts and
brush the wipers down to remove any 'dark' stuff. The T/R contact may be pitted.
It breaks the HV power and sees a small spark when operated. Mine is pitted and
still works fine.

Test the tubes, or have them tested. I picked up a complete spare set at a
seasonal ham flea market for $20.

Vacuum the interior and a little burnishing should clean up the chassis.

Mine took about 3 hours to clean up and get operating. It cost about $35 for
electrolytics and spare tubes. I've used it on 80/40 CW and 75 AM phone. [It is
a little pistol on AM phone though].

It is a nice rainy day project when there are no sports on tv, XYL is out
shopping with your daughter, and the lawn mower needs repair.

NOTE: Fix the lawn mower after the restoration :-)

/s/ DD, W1MCE

Old September 18th 07, 03:24 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors

"Rick (W-A-one-R-K-T)" wrote in message
news

A neighbor gave me a Heath DX-40 transmitter and VF-1 VFO that had been
sitting God knows where for God knows how long, and tonight I pulled them
up into the shack from the garage to see what if anything I could do with
them.

You can see the "Before" photos at http://www.rkt-tech.com/DX40 (at least
for the transmitter ... I haven't taken the VFO out of its case yet).

You can see that it needs a little work. :-\

(Amazingly, though, the underside doesn't look half bad...)

Having never done one of these restorations before ... where do I start?

The metal cabinets are not that bad. Any half decent paint booth at a good
autobody shop can remove the rust prime and paint in yoru favoriate gray to
match.

PATIENCE is the kep skill for restoration work. IF you don't have that --
pass these on to someone who has it.

gb

Old September 18th 07, 03:30 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors

"gb" ) writes:

The metal cabinets are not that bad. Any half decent paint booth at a good
autobody shop can remove the rust prime and paint in yoru favoriate gray to
match.

PATIENCE is the kep skill for restoration work. IF you don't have that --
pass these on to someone who has it.

I always liked the restoration project described in QST some years back
(I gues more than "some" at this point). He basically stripped the
transmitter down, I think it had started out as a kit, fixed up
the chassis (and had it commercially plated) and then started building.
I seem to recall he used quite a few new parts, like all the resistors
and capacitors, perhaps event the tube sockets.

He probably did end up with a more reliable rig, though I'm not
sure how it gets classifed.

Michael VE2BVW

Old September 18th 07, 05:21 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors

"Michael Black" wrote in message
"gb" ) writes:

[...]

The underside of this rig looked pretty damned clean to me - unless I missed
anything. The top looked (to me) like a good vacuuming was in order - maybe
some cleanser. The case - looked the worse for wear. But - as others said -
nothing not able to be done. NICE project!

Old September 19th 07, 03:45 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors

"gb" ) writes:

[...]

Yes, that was the DX-100 rebuild project. Nice works and he even found the
wife of the original kit builder, as I remember. I kept that issue
(somehwere in my library)

gb