Old September 22nd 07, 12:13 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.equipment
Ed G Ed G is offline

Default Starter Rigs

I am a newly licensed technician, study for the general exam. I plan
to purchase an HF rig soon and would appreciate suggestions on a good
starter rig. I am budgeting $800 for a rig and antenna. I would be
happy with a good used rig but I am not sure where to start looking
for information.

Jim, I'm going to let you and the others here come up with a good
solution for your HF rig....

My only comment is to spend your money on the radio and minimize the
expenditure on an antenna. There is no reason you can not make a very
good performing dipole, or inverted V type antenna with spending hardly
any money on it.

73,

Ed K7AAT