Old September 21st 07, 07:18 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.equipment
No Name

Default Starter Rigs

I am a newly licensed technician, study for the general exam. I plan to
purchase an HF rig soon and would appreciate suggestions on a good starter
rig. I am budgeting $800 for a rig and antenna. I would be happy with a good
used rig but I am not sure where to start looking for information.

Thanks,

Jim KI6ISQ

Old September 21st 07, 10:09 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.equipment

"Ham1" wrote in message
wrote in message
. ..
I am a newly licensed technician, study for the general exam. I plan to
purchase an HF rig soon and would appreciate suggestions on a good starter
rig. I am budgeting $800 for a rig and antenna. I would be happy with a
good used rig but I am not sure where to start looking for information.

Thanks,

Jim KI6ISQ

If base is what you like a good small rig without too much cost could be a
Icom 718.
Big Readout, front fire speaker, built in DSP. Find one that has had the
AGC mod done to it if possible.
There is a recent Mod that is much better than the ones out there now.

Its not a bad unit without it.
Good TS50s Kenwoods are also a great rig base or Mobile. In fact its
Noise blanker is hard to beet.

Some used solid-state Heathkits are also very good.

Just a few.

Thanks for the solid advice. I went eHam and checked the reviews and these
are great suggestions.

Jim

Old September 21st 07, 10:44 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.equipment

wrote in message
. ..
I am a newly licensed technician, study for the general exam. I plan to
purchase an HF rig soon and would appreciate suggestions on a good starter
rig. I am budgeting $800 for a rig and antenna. I would be happy with a
good used rig but I am not sure where to start looking for information.

Thanks,

Jim KI6ISQ

Jim if it were me, I would first decide on whether your station will be base
or mobile or possibly both.
The same rig can be used for base and mobile - but in this case it narrows
your choice of rigs to the smaller compact ones.
If mobile and base, then two separate antennas are needed- one for the
vehicle - other for base use.

Decide whether you want an all solid state rig or can tolrate one with
vacuum tubes

Be aware that most recent rigs require a 12V power supply which for your
vehicle is simply wiring to the car 12V system, preferrbly directly to the
car battery. But for base use, a 12V power supply is needed i.e., 117V to
12V. Current requirements vary, but 12V at 25 Amps works for many rigs. So
another expense is a power supply for base use.

Next decide if you want to make your own antennas, saves lotsa money. Use
Google to look up "Homebrew Ham antennas"
If you opt for a commercial antenna, consider a used one and refurbish it.
Incude the cost of coax and maybe an SWR meter

After the antenna with the money left over, perhaps check e-bay and swap
listings for rigs in your price range.

Then check E-Ham reviews for what users have to say about the various ones

So you need to make some decisions before anyone can recommend a rig and
antenna and keep into the $800 range
Base? Mobile?, Both?,
{Antenna, Homebrew , used, or new)????
Solid state or tubed, or hybrid??

Then repost

73 Lamont

Old September 21st 07, 10:49 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.equipment

On Sep 21, 7:18 pm, wrote:
I am a newly licensed technician, study for the general exam. I plan to
purchase an HF rig soon and would appreciate suggestions on a good starter
rig. I am budgeting $800 for a rig and antenna. I would be happy with a good
used rig but I am not sure where to start looking for information.

Thanks,

Jim KI6ISQ

Jim

I am a newly licensed amaateur in the UK. I had similar budget to you
and looked around for a while. The Icom 706MkIIG was recommended and
is perfect. Its small, easy to slot in the car but performs
brilliantly from home even with a simple low cost half size G5RV and a
coliner for 2m.

Old September 22nd 07, 12:13 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.equipment

I am a newly licensed technician, study for the general exam. I plan
to purchase an HF rig soon and would appreciate suggestions on a good
starter rig. I am budgeting $800 for a rig and antenna. I would be
happy with a good used rig but I am not sure where to start looking
for information.

Jim, I'm going to let you and the others here come up with a good
solution for your HF rig....

My only comment is to spend your money on the radio and minimize the
expenditure on an antenna. There is no reason you can not make a very
good performing dipole, or inverted V type antenna with spending hardly
any money on it.

73,

Ed K7AAT

Old September 26th 07, 04:30 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.equipment

I am a newly licensed technician, study for the general exam. I plan to
purchase an HF rig soon and would appreciate suggestions on a good starter
rig. I am budgeting $800 for a rig and antenna.....

A good 100-watt all-band rig, brand new, would be something like the
Icom 718, a little over $500. Add ....

Or get a TenTec Triton IV (aka 540 w/ analog dial or 544 w/ digital dial)
and TenTec power supply; maybe $250 for the pair? Mid-70's "no tune"
(that means you must have a "tuner"!) transistorized radio made in the
USA. Or run the radio from a 12-volt battery with a $10 float charger
from Harbor Freight; instant emergency power! Get a good crossed-needle
SWR meter but make your own "tuner" (a homebrew inductor, a capacitor
from an old radio, and two alligator clips). A 100-150 watt soldering
GUN (irons are usually too small for soldering PL-259 connectors) will
be handy (although you COULD buy ready-made coax). Throw some wire into
the air (or connect to something metallic, preferably high and long),
and you should have several hundred dollars left over.

--Myron Calhoun, W0PBV.
--
--Myron A. Calhoun.
Five boxes preserve our freedoms: soap, ballot, witness, jury, and cartridge