Old September 25th 07, 12:37 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.equipment
KD6EVM KD6EVM is offline

Default Starter Rigs

wrote:
I am a newly licensed technician, study for the general exam. I plan to
purchase an HF rig soon and would appreciate suggestions on a good starter
rig. I am budgeting $800 for a rig and antenna. I would be happy with a good
used rig but I am not sure where to start looking for information.

Thanks,

Jim KI6ISQ

You have received a lot of good advice. The icom 817 with dsp is a safe
bet, but I would set some money aside for an antenna tuner and a power
supply. A manual tuner with a cross needle meter is a good learning tool
for someone new to HF that will also tune a variety of wire antennas
which you can make (not buy.) Scout around for a used power supply. $800
should get you on the air.

What you really need is an "Elmer" in the Ukiah area. I am near Chico,
but may be able to offer some help via email. Please contact me off-list.

Tom KD6EVM