Old October 1st 07, 01:35 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
craigm craigm is offline

Default HD radio won't just go away.

Telamon wrote:

In article ,
craigm wrote:

Can you explain "backhaul is still via telephone modem"?

You make requests or upload files / data over the phone line. The
download path to you is the satellite dish. If you are surfing the net
your requests and upstream data are small and the downloads such as
movie trailers, video, and streaming media are high bit rate.

.... and ...

SFTV_troy wrote:

Computers operate in two directions during internet access. Typically
the phone line or DSL or cable line flows both down & up across the
same wire, but not satellite:

DOWN - from the satellite
UP - via the phone line

So the down channel is broadband, while the up channel is narrowband.
The thing Brenda forgot is that virtually all of these AM websites are
optimized for phone line usage. I don't need broadband to DX to
California or the UK or Australia via my 56K modem.

Well, Wildblue and Hughesnet are the two major providers of satellite access
in the US and they both use two way satellite connections. They do not use
the phone.

Both offer higher upload speeds than a conventional phone line can provide.

Makes one wonder what else you don't understand.