Old October 1st 07, 01:35 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Default HD radio won't just go away.

Telamon wrote:

In article ,
craigm wrote:

Can you explain "backhaul is still via telephone modem"?

You make requests or upload files / data over the phone line. The
download path to you is the satellite dish. If you are surfing the net
your requests and upstream data are small and the downloads such as
movie trailers, video, and streaming media are high bit rate.

.... and ...

SFTV_troy wrote:

Computers operate in two directions during internet access. Typically
the phone line or DSL or cable line flows both down & up across the
same wire, but not satellite:

DOWN - from the satellite
UP - via the phone line

So the down channel is broadband, while the up channel is narrowband.
The thing Brenda forgot is that virtually all of these AM websites are
optimized for phone line usage. I don't need broadband to DX to
California or the UK or Australia via my 56K modem.

Well, Wildblue and Hughesnet are the two major providers of satellite access
in the US and they both use two way satellite connections. They do not use
the phone.

Both offer higher upload speeds than a conventional phone line can provide.

Makes one wonder what else you don't understand.

Old October 1st 07, 03:00 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

In article ,
craigm wrote:

Telamon wrote:

SFTV_troy wrote:

Computers operate in two directions during internet access. Typically
the phone line or DSL or cable line flows both down & up across the
same wire, but not satellite:

DOWN - from the satellite
UP - via the phone line

So the down channel is broadband, while the up channel is narrowband.
The thing Brenda forgot is that virtually all of these AM websites are
optimized for phone line usage. I don't need broadband to DX to
California or the UK or Australia via my 56K modem.

Well, Wildblue and Hughesnet are the two major providers of satellite access
in the US and they both use two way satellite connections. They do not use
the phone.

Both offer higher upload speeds than a conventional phone line can provide.

Makes one wonder what else you don't understand.

The systems I looked at a few years ago worked as I described. If you
can now get up link and down link satellite then the up link bit rates
can improve. Ping times will still be larger compared to DSL due to the
propagation time to from the 22K miles away bird.

--
Telamon
Ventura, California
Old October 1st 07, 12:38 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

craigm wrote:
SFTV_troy wrote:

DOWN - from the satellite
UP - via the phone line
So the down channel is broadband, while the up channel is narrowband.

Well, Wildblue and Hughesnet are the two major providers of satellite access
in the US and they both use two way satellite connections. They do not use
the phone. Both offer higher upload speeds than a conventional phone.

Makes one wonder what else you don't understand.

(1) Don't be rude & insulting.

(2) I looked-up two-way satellite communication on wikipedia before I
posted, but it said the upstream is limited to only 2.4 kbit/s.
That's a LOT slower than a 56k phone line connection.

(3) If wikipedia is wrong, please provide a citation so I can update
it. Back-up your "higher upload speeds" claim.

Old October 1st 07, 01:40 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

SFTV_troy wrote:

craigm wrote:
SFTV_troy wrote:

DOWN - from the satellite
UP - via the phone line
So the down channel is broadband, while the up channel is narrowband.

Well, Wildblue and Hughesnet are the two major providers of satellite
access in the US and they both use two way satellite connections. They do
not use the phone. Both offer higher upload speeds than a conventional
phone.

Makes one wonder what else you don't understand.

(1) Don't be rude & insulting.

Your posts show you don't have experience with what you are talking about.
If you don't like that being pointed out, too bad.

(2) I looked-up two-way satellite communication on wikipedia before I
posted, but it said the upstream is limited to only 2.4 kbit/s.
That's a LOT slower than a 56k phone line connection.

(3) If wikipedia is wrong, please provide a citation so I can update
it. Back-up your "higher upload speeds" claim.

Go to the Wildblue or Hughesnet web sites. You'll find they offer 128kbit or
higher upload rates.