Old October 12th 07, 12:19 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
J. B. Wood J. B. Wood is offline

Default Antenna/RF Analyzers anything other than MFJ?

In article , yea right
wrote:

I've been looking to *up* my ham radio experience by constructing a few
projects. Though I have a few toys already, (Spec analyzer, sweep gen
scope) I've been looking at purchasing an RF analyzer. I am looking for
something that can easily scope out resonant circuits, antennas and
measure impedance and reactance.

The MFJ series seems dominate in the market but does not cover all the
freq ranges I'm interested in. I've found a company called Autek Research
who seems to make a few continuous analyzers but find very little about
them on google.

Are there any other companies making RF analyzers?

Hello, and sure, there's a little firm out there called Agilent ;-) What
you are seeking is a one-port (reflection measurements only) instrument
that can measure the complex RF voltage (or current) reflection
coefficient. From that VSWR, return loss and complex (resistance and
reactance) impedance can be calculated and displayed. An RF vector
network analyzer (VNA) will do all this and more. MFJ has managed to
package an affordable but stripped down form of a one-port VNA. (Hey you
asked about other companies but didn't say what you were willing to pay.)

Years ago the HP (now Agilent) catalog had an "RF Impedance Meter" that
IIRC could make complex impedance measurements in the HF band. It
provided display of impedance magnitude and angle using two analog
meters. Perhaps one in good working order could be had at a hamfest or
fleabay. Sincerely, and 73s from N4GGO,

John Wood (Code 5550) e-mail:
Naval Research Laboratory
4555 Overlook Avenue, SW