Old October 10th 07, 09:07 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Default Antenna/RF Analyzers anything other than MFJ?

I've been looking to *up* my ham radio experience by constructing a few
projects. Though I have a few toys already, (Spec analyzer, sweep gen
scope) I've been looking at purchasing an RF analyzer. I am looking for
something that can easily scope out resonant circuits, antennas and
measure impedance and reactance.

The MFJ series seems dominate in the market but does not cover all the
freq ranges I'm interested in. I've found a company called Autek Research
who seems to make a few continuous analyzers but find very little about
them on google.

Are there any other companies making RF analyzers?

Is there something that MFJ has that others lack?

Is Autek Research OK?

I Thank You in advance!
Old October 10th 07, 09:15 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

yea right wrote:
Are there any other companies making RF analyzers?

Check out the AIM 4170 at:

http://arraysolutions.com/Products/A...op%20of%20page
--
73, Cecil http://www.w5dxp.com
Old October 10th 07, 11:33 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

"yea right" wrote in message
news
I've been looking to *up* my ham radio experience by constructing a few
projects. Though I have a few toys already, (Spec analyzer, sweep gen
scope) I've been looking at purchasing an RF analyzer. I am looking for
something that can easily scope out resonant circuits, antennas and
measure impedance and reactance.

The MFJ series seems dominate in the market but does not cover all the
freq ranges I'm interested in. I've found a company called Autek Research
who seems to make a few continuous analyzers but find very little about
them on google.

Are there any other companies making RF analyzers?

Is there something that MFJ has that others lack?

Is Autek Research OK?

I Thank You in advance!

Hi "yea"

I dont have experience with HF RF analyzers. But, I communicate with a
Dutch guy who has alot of good comparison data on analyzers on his site
http://homepages.ipact.nl/~pa1are/.

Jerry

Old October 11th 07, 01:46 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

On Oct 10, 1:07 pm, yea right wrote:
I've been looking to *up* my ham radio experience by constructing a few
projects. Though I have a few toys already, (Spec analyzer, sweep gen
scope) I've been looking at purchasing an RF analyzer. I am looking for
something that can easily scope out resonant circuits, antennas and
measure impedance and reactance.

The MFJ series seems dominate in the market but does not cover all the
freq ranges I'm interested in. I've found a company called Autek Research
who seems to make a few continuous analyzers but find very little about
them on google.

Are there any other companies making RF analyzers?

Is there something that MFJ has that others lack?

Is Autek Research OK?

I Thank You in advance!

By all means, check out Paul Kiciak's web pages at http://n2pk.com/.
That relatively inexpensive project yields a serious network
analyzer. There are lurkers here (and probably more that read
rec.radio.amateur.homebrew) that have built it and can give you first-
hand info about it. If I didn't already have an HP analyzer and
access to others, I'd have built one long ago.

Cheers,
Tom

Old October 12th 07, 12:19 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

In article , yea right
wrote:

I've been looking to *up* my ham radio experience by constructing a few
projects. Though I have a few toys already, (Spec analyzer, sweep gen
scope) I've been looking at purchasing an RF analyzer. I am looking for
something that can easily scope out resonant circuits, antennas and
measure impedance and reactance.

The MFJ series seems dominate in the market but does not cover all the
freq ranges I'm interested in. I've found a company called Autek Research
who seems to make a few continuous analyzers but find very little about
them on google.

Are there any other companies making RF analyzers?

Hello, and sure, there's a little firm out there called Agilent ;-) What
you are seeking is a one-port (reflection measurements only) instrument
that can measure the complex RF voltage (or current) reflection
coefficient. From that VSWR, return loss and complex (resistance and
reactance) impedance can be calculated and displayed. An RF vector
network analyzer (VNA) will do all this and more. MFJ has managed to
package an affordable but stripped down form of a one-port VNA. (Hey you
asked about other companies but didn't say what you were willing to pay.)

Years ago the HP (now Agilent) catalog had an "RF Impedance Meter" that
IIRC could make complex impedance measurements in the HF band. It
provided display of impedance magnitude and angle using two analog
meters. Perhaps one in good working order could be had at a hamfest or
fleabay. Sincerely, and 73s from N4GGO,

John Wood (Code 5550) e-mail:
Naval Research Laboratory
4555 Overlook Avenue, SW
Washington, DC 20375-5337

Old October 12th 07, 01:10 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

"yea right" schrieb im Newsbeitrag
news
Are there any other companies making RF analyzers?

http://www.aeatechnology.com/html/product.htm

http://www.schomandl.de/funkmesstechnik.html

--
Vy 73 es 55 de Ralf, DL2MRB

Old October 12th 07, 03:33 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

I've been looking to *up* my ham radio experience by constructing a few
projects. Though I have a few toys already, (Spec analyzer, sweep gen
scope) I've been looking at purchasing an RF analyzer. I am looking for
something that can easily scope out resonant circuits, antennas and
measure impedance and reactance.

The MFJ series seems dominate in the market but does not cover all the
freq ranges I'm interested in. I've found a company called Autek Research
who seems to make a few continuous analyzers but find very little about
them on google.

Are there any other companies making RF analyzers?

Take a look at W8WWV - Analyzing Three Antenna Analyzers

Lamont

Old October 13th 07, 07:12 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

On Wed, 10 Oct 2007 14:07:13 -0600, yea right wrote:

I've been looking to *up* my ham radio experience by constructing a few
projects. Though I have a few toys already, (Spec analyzer, sweep gen
scope) I've been looking at purchasing an RF analyzer. I am looking for

Unreal!

Some of them babies are quite a bit too much for a hobby! Wow. Google
never showed allot of these.

With that in mind, I think I will either purchase the MFJ-269 or the VA1
and RF5 Combo pac from autek. The computer based units though cheaper and
more accurate, would not be always convenient to use.