Old October 14th 07, 06:25 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
Ron Hardin Ron Hardin is offline

Default DX Engineering phasing unit

wrote:

On Oct 13, 8:31 pm, Steve wrote:
Looks like it's finally here. It's expensive, but if it lives up to
the hype I'm sure they'll sell plenty of them:

http://tinyurl.com/2cor2e

I'm curious as to how it compares to the JPS/Timewave unit, but that's
far too much to pay just to get the answer.

It's overhyped when it claims it's more stable ; the JPS/Timewave stays fixed
to a very fine degree over weeks. The weakness of the JPS/Timewave ANC-4 is
that the controls (particularly phase) need some kind of bandspread pot for fine
adjustment ; and that over time the pots get scratchy (albeit fixed by Deoxit
spray).

Voltage controlled phase sounds intrinsically less stable to me, but what do
I know.

I assume, but do not know, that the ANC-4 just combines a direct signal with
one that goes thru a capacitor, varying the combination with a pot, to change
phase. And another pot for gain. This is then added to the other antenna.