Old November 15th 07, 01:46 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
Steve Steve is offline

Default Tugboat Extravaganza

On Nov 14, 6:46 pm, Ken Wilson wrote:
On Nov 12, 1:22 am, Steve wrote: At 0610 utc having clear copy on some tugboat comms on 4149 khz usb.
WPE-Jacksonville (Crowley Marine) working various different boats

self (including Gauntlet, Hanson, Defender and others) as they check
in

with position reports, weather, fuel on board, etc.

Receiver: Drake R8B
Antenna: Wellbrook ALA-330s (phased against an LF-Engineering H-800
Skymatch)
Location: Brooklyn, NY

(Check-ins seem to have stopped, at least for now, at 0622 utc)

Steve,

How does the H-800 antenna perform by itself?

I am looking to add an antenna here & that is one I am considering.
The RF Systems MTA is also another one I am looking at.

BTW I am currently using a ALA1530 & a low 180 ft. Horizontal loop.

73, Kenny KG4BIG

The H-800 is a good antenna and a good value. However, it sounds like
you already have some great antennas and I don't think the H-800 will
rival the Wellbrook or the big horizontal loop. I use mine almost
exclusively as a 'noise antenna' that I phase against the Wellbrook
and it works very well for that. And it's a good antenna as actives
go--one of the best, actually, especially for the tropical bands and
below--but not a match for the loops you have.

That's about how I'd size it up. Other people here might have
different opinions to offer.

Steve