Old November 22nd 07, 11:00 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.equipment
Dick Dick is offline

Default GMRS

On Thu, 22 Nov 2007 10:59:07 -1000, Joseph Fenn
wrote:

AS someone on here said, GMRS is similar to CB (chicken bandits)
in that not all the GMRS chnls require any fee of any kind. I think
chnl 1 thru 7 do require a license from the FCC and its
$100 not $75 as someone said. If you stick to the "open chnls"
Chnl 11 is on of them you dont need call signs nor anything, just
use it like a telephone. I call sign, no identification required.
Joe

************************************************* *************************
* Ham since 1937 HiSchool Sophomore ex W9ZUU, KP4EX, W4FAG, KH6ARG KH6JF *
* WW2 Vet since Sep 1940 to just After VJ day. US Signal Corps AACS *
************************************************* *************************

I know a lot of people are under that mis-conception because of the
combination FRS/GMRS radios sold at Wal-Mart, etc., but in actuality,
ALL GMRS channels require a license if operated as GMRS (over
1/2-watt, detachable antenna.) If you operate on one of the
interstial channels (FRS channels 1 thru 7), where FRS and GMRS
channels are the same, and you operate under the FRS rules (1/2-watt
maximum, non-detacheable antenna), then yes, you can operate one of
those channels without a license. But only as FRS, and not GMRS.

The latest fee for GMRS is $85.
http://www.fcc.gov/Forms/Form1070/2006/1070y101706.pdf

Dick - W6CCD