Old November 22nd 07, 08:59 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.equipment

Default GMRS

AS someone on here said, GMRS is similar to CB (chicken bandits)
in that not all the GMRS chnls require any fee of any kind. I think
chnl 1 thru 7 do require a license from the FCC and its
$100 not $75 as someone said. If you stick to the "open chnls"
Chnl 11 is on of them you dont need call signs nor anything, just
use it like a telephone. I call sign, no identification required.
Joe

************************************************** ************************
* Ham since 1937 HiSchool Sophomore ex W9ZUU, KP4EX, W4FAG, KH6ARG KH6JF *
* WW2 Vet since Sep 1940 to just After VJ day. US Signal Corps AACS *
************************************************** ************************

Old November 22nd 07, 11:00 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.equipment

************************************************* *************************
* Ham since 1937 HiSchool Sophomore ex W9ZUU, KP4EX, W4FAG, KH6ARG KH6JF *
* WW2 Vet since Sep 1940 to just After VJ day. US Signal Corps AACS *
************************************************* *************************

I know a lot of people are under that mis-conception because of the
combination FRS/GMRS radios sold at Wal-Mart, etc., but in actuality,
ALL GMRS channels require a license if operated as GMRS (over
1/2-watt, detachable antenna.) If you operate on one of the
interstial channels (FRS channels 1 thru 7), where FRS and GMRS
channels are the same, and you operate under the FRS rules (1/2-watt
maximum, non-detacheable antenna), then yes, you can operate one of
those channels without a license. But only as FRS, and not GMRS.

The latest fee for GMRS is $85.
http://www.fcc.gov/Forms/Form1070/2006/1070y101706.pdf

Dick - W6CCD

Old November 23rd 07, 07:17 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.equipment

wrote:

[...]

Wrong again Dick. I called the FCC and asked what chnls are "free"
and what chnls require a license. They told me and the ones
that the ones requiring a license cost $100 (not 75 as you claimed)..
Joe
Old November 24th 07, 04:13 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.equipment

wrote:

[...]

I don't care who you talked to Joe, there are no "free" channels when
you use a GMRS radio that transmits with over 1/2-watt and has a
removeable antenna. They are only "free" if you transmit on one of
the interstitial channels with an FRS radio. When you transmit on one
of the "free" channels you are using FRS, even though the radio can
also transmit on one of the true GMRS channels. You really need to
read Part 95. If you transmit under the GMRS rules, you MUST have a
GMRS license. If you transmit under the FRS rules, you don't.

Did you even read the FCC document I referred to above? It clearly
shows the fee to be $85. I recently renewed my GMRS license, and
guess what? The fee was $85 just like the fee schedule shows.

Here is the latest version of the fee schedule, dated September 18,
2007.
http://wireless.fcc.gov/feesforms/fe...09.18.07 .pdf

Dick

Dick

Old November 25th 07, 02:14 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.equipment

`

Dick

Dick I think direct question to FCC via phone is enuff unless we got
liars at the FCC. Its $100 bux not $85. And as I said these are
sold at Radio Shack and chnls 1-thru 7 require the license.
You dare not open you mouth on those. Chnl 11 is free and clear
and about 4 others also and require no call sines nor charges of
any kind. No ID, nothing. I have mine locked to my wifes on
chnl 11 and though I listen to the licensed chnls some times,
they sound like they are breaking all the rules in the ID.
"hey frank did you finish your job yet"? "Answer no I'm about
to finish shortly" Those are mot even up to CB standards!!!
Joe

Old November 25th 07, 05:53 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.equipment

On Sat, 24 Nov 2007 16:14:20 -1000, Joseph Fenn
wrote:

`

Dick

Dick I think direct question to FCC via phone is enuff unless we got
liars at the FCC. Its $100 bux not $85. And as I said these are
sold at Radio Shack and chnls 1-thru 7 require the license.
You dare not open you mouth on those. Chnl 11 is free and clear
and about 4 others also and require no call sines nor charges of
any kind. No ID, nothing. I have mine locked to my wifes on
chnl 11 and though I listen to the licensed chnls some times,
they sound like they are breaking all the rules in the ID.
"hey frank did you finish your job yet"? "Answer no I'm about
to finish shortly" Those are mot even up to CB standards!!!
Joe

Joe -

What am I going to do with you? You are the classic case of you can
lead a horse to water, but you can't make him drink. Here is the
EXACT wording from the latest FCC fee schedule.

Part 95 General Mobile Radio Service

The instructions that follow are for filing applications. Select the
purpose of filing and follow the instructions below:
New, Renewal or Renewal/Modification
• FCC 605
• FCC 159
• Payment/Fee Type Code: PAZR - $85.00 Fee

I cut and pasted that from the URL leading to the FCC PDF file on fees
that I listed for you in the previous message. I assure you the $85
fee is correct for a GMRS license.

I think the problem you are having is that you either asked the wrong
question, or didn't understand what the FCC person told you. If you
want to make sure there is no misunderstanding between you and the
FCC, call them again and say these exact words, "I have a 25-watt GMRS
radio in my car, and an antenna mounted on the roof. What are the
channels that I can operate on without a license?" I guarantee you
that they will say NONE!

I will try to explain this to you one more time, then I give up.

When you buy one of the 22-channel FRS/GMRS radios from Radio Shack,
etc. these are primarily FRS radios. To meet the FRS specifications
the must transmit with less than 1/2-watt and the antenna cannot be
removeable. I.E. you cannot use any other antenna with it. They also
have to meet a certain frequency tolerance.

Normally, an FRS radio has 14 channels. But in these hybrid radios
there are 7 channels that are called the interstitial channels. These
are channels use by both FRS and GMRS. Then there are 7 channels that
are FRS only, and 7 channels that are GMRS only. There is also an
emergency channel of 462.675 MHz for the 22nd channel. This is
sometimes channel 0 in a GMRS radio.

You can operate on any of the first 14 channels without a license
because they are FRS channels. However, you must have a license to
operate on the 7 (8) channels that are GMRS only. The important thing
to understand here is that, on the 7 interstitial channels
(combination FRS and GMRS) they are only designated that way so you
can talk to a GMRS operator and they to you on their 7 channels.
However, when you talk to a GMRS operator on one of those 7 channels
you are operating as FRS not GMRS. I don't know how I can make that
concept any more clear. THERE ARE NO FREE GMRS channels, just free
FRS channels. They just happen to be the same frequency. When I say
GMRS operator, I'm talking about someone using a true GMRS radio up to
25-watts with a removable antenna, not one of these hybrid toy radios.

You're on your own now Joe. I have other things to do besides trying
to teach you something useful when you won't listen.

Dick - W6CCD
Extra Class ARRL Volunteer Examiner

Old November 26th 07, 02:19 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.equipment

Joe -

What am I going to do with you? You are the classic case of you can
lead a horse to water, but you can't make him drink. Here is the
EXACT wording from the latest FCC fee schedule.

Well you got it all wrong. I dont have no 25 watts nor an external
antenna of any kind, just the 3 " rubber duck on top of the handheld.
You can lead me to beer but not water. Also am not a horse nor
a horses ass as you might think!!!!!!.
Joe

Old November 26th 07, 02:26 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.equipment

Joseph Fenn wrote:

You can lead me to beer but not water.

Now *there's* something I can relate to! ;-D

--
Steve
Old November 27th 07, 04:25 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.equipment

JRS wrote:
On Sun, 25 Nov 2007 16:19:16 -1000, Joseph Fenn
wrote:

You can lead me to beer but not water.

Joe

Lead the way, Joe. I'm right behind you and I'll buy the first round.

John

paid 75 for my license last year and the guy that quoted the part 95 is
100% correct.

All About GMRS Radios, GMRS Repeaters, Etc Caveat Lector Shortwave 1 January 25th 07 12:09 PM
GMRS Caveat Lector Shortwave 0 January 8th 07 07:28 PM
FS: GMRS - SECURENET MOTOROLA PORTABLE REPEATER STUFF GMRS /\/\()-|-()! **THE-RFI-EMI-GUY** Swap 0 September 29th 06 03:36 AM
FS: GMRS - SECURENET MOTOROLA PORTABLE REPEATER STUFF GMRS **THE-RFI-EMI-GUY** Swap 0 September 16th 05 03:04 AM
GMRS or CB Mike Equipment 6 June 6th 04 11:02 PM